Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: I just kicked Joe Dominguez in the nuts

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    it's not like I'll enjoy something this silly more...later.
    Indeed. For years the operating principle was deferred gratification, i.e. resisting a smaller but more immediate reward in order to receive a larger reward later. I don't know if there is a technical term for it, but now I think for some things the deferral results in diminished returns, not enhanced returns.

Ah, rationalization is a wonderful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    This talk has brought back memories of my first car, many years ago.......a very used VW Beetle.
    My first car, which I purchased my senior year of college, was a 1968 Datsun 510 station wagon, so it was 16 years old at the time I got it. I paid < $300 for it, and the value of the Sears Craftsman tools I had in the back to keep it operational exceeded the value of the car. Someone stole it once *and brought it back* a week later - apparently it was too lame to keep. I loved that car.

My first car was a 1977 Mercury Bobcat that I bought by selling my coin collection. You had to turn off the air conditioning to get up steep hills. I should have kept the coins.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    My first car was a 1977 Mercury Bobcat that I bought by selling my coin collection. You had to turn off the air conditioning to get up steep hills. I should have kept the coins.
    My wife-to-be got pulled over driving my Datsun, and the nice officer told her he'd clocked her at 72mph.

She laughed. "I didn't know this could even break 60 mph, it must have been downhill. I'll see if my boyfriend will put the speedometer back in." By that point the Datsun was mostly duct-tape colored.

The officer let her off with a warning, after some consideration of the merits of her argument.

My wife-to-be got pulled over driving my Datsun, and the nice officer told her he'd clocked her at 72mph.

She laughed. "I didn't know this could even break 60 mph, it must have been downhill. I'll see if my boyfriend will put the speedometer back in." By that point the Datsun was mostly duct-tape colored.

The officer let her off with a warning, after some consideration of the merits of her argument.
    The cops never stopped my Bobcat. Either they were embarrassed to be seen with it or they were afraid the gas tank might suddenly explode. Or they could have made the assumption that anyone driving such a car was too poor to pay traffic fines.

LOL.......these 'first car' stories are funny! I loved my little VW.....but it had its challenges, for sure. I took the interstate to visit my parents a number of times. Not the safest car....with nothing but an empty trunk in the front. I always pictured myself driving down the interstate with nothing in the front, except my legs hanging over. My little bug also had the habit in winter, for awhile, of sometimes staling when I would turn right. It was winter, and someone told me to get some stuff to put in the gas tank to help with that. (not sure why that would help turning right!). So I bought a can to keep in the car with me. I also had a hankerin' for spaghettios once (forgive me, I was young and stupid), so I bought a can on the way home one night. Sure enough, I turned right into a street and the car stalled. A guy walking on the sidewalk asked if he could help. It was dark and I grabbed the can of stuff for the gas tank to show him what someone told me to use, but accidentally grabbed the spaghettios without realizing it and said "I've been told to use this." hahaha

Having survived some of these "adventures" of youth, I can now laugh at them.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Too poor to pay traffic fines.
    I guess you didn't live in Ferguson where they lock you up if you can't pay the fines. Making money off indigent motorists and criminalizing civil infractions is a disturbing trend in parts of the country, as is increasing criminalization of childhood mischief in our schools.

But I guess it is easier to generate revenues off poor people than to get the taxes needed to fund local governments adequately passed.

Williamsmith

I recall stopping a young woman driving a dodge neon of questionable mechanical condition. She was doing 82mph in a 65mph zone. The moment in a traffic stop between the time the first approach to the driver and when the window goes down is similar to the anticipation of opening an unexpected wrapped package. The condition of the car is a hint ....like shaking the package.

I was direct as usual....”I stopped you for speeding, is there an emergency or something I need to know about?” I preferred to get the excuse out of the way immediately. She asked how fast and upon being told my certified and tested radar had her at 82, she responded, “That’s impossible, the steering wheel shakes at 70mph!”

A few minutes and a written warning later later she was off like a trout released back into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I guess you didn't live in Ferguson where they lock you up if you can't pay the fines. Making money off indigent motorists and criminalizing civil infractions is a disturbing trend in parts of the country, as is increasing criminalization of childhood mischief in our schools.

But I guess it is easier to generate revenues off poor people than to get the taxes needed to fund local governments adequately passed.
    Yes, nothing screams white privilege like a used Bobcat, it being the more luxurious version of the Pinto..

My childhood mischief was often punished with methods that might be treated as criminal today.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

Sweetheart, they dont lock anyone up in Ferguson for outstanding traffic fines.

We can barely get perpetrators of assult and more serious crimes locked up around here.

All that means is that someone drives around with outstanding warrents and IF picked up MAY be hauled in to be immediatley released. An inconvenience in their day for sure, but no jail time.

Thread Information