Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I just kicked Joe Dominguez in the nuts

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    LOL.......these 'first car' stories are funny! I loved my little VW.....but it had its challenges, for sure. I took the interstate to visit my parents a number of times. Not the safest car....with nothing but an empty trunk in the front. I always pictured myself driving down the interstate with nothing in the front, except my legs hanging over. My little bug also had the habit in winter, for awhile, of sometimes staling when I would turn right. It was winter, and someone told me to get some stuff to put in the gas tank to help with that. (not sure why that would help turning right!). So I bought a can to keep in the car with me. I also had a hankerin' for spaghettios once (forgive me, I was young and stupid), so I bought a can on the way home one night. Sure enough, I turned right into a street and the car stalled. A guy walking on the sidewalk asked if he could help. It was dark and I grabbed the can of stuff for the gas tank to show him what someone told me to use, but accidentally grabbed the spaghettios without realizing it and said "I've been told to use this." hahaha

Having survived some of these "adventures" of youth, I can now laugh at them.
    My dad owned a bug. I remember that if you shut both doors at the same time it made your ears pop.

I leadned to drive on a stick shift Volkswagon bug.

I learned to drive a stick shift coming home from the VW dealership in rush hour traffic. Drove the whole way in second gear.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I learned to drive a stick shift coming home from the VW dealership in rush hour traffic. Drove the whole way in second gear.
    LOL! I loved my bug. It went up slick hills in winter when other cars couldn't. One time my dad, for some reason, wanted to use my car to drive him and 2 other men somewhere in town. I went along, to drive back. We were going up a small incline that lasted a while and the car filled up with smoke. My father was laughing, but continuing. (See if I ever let you use MY car again DAD!!) Whatever happened, went away, fortunately. It was sort of like the little engine that could.........

Actually, this was the second Bug in a very short time. The first one had all sorts of problems and I immediately took it back to the shady used car dealer. He at least gave me another one, which was a tad better. He was a creep. At the time I was working in an E.R. A day after I had off, someone there told me that this creep had been brought to the E.R. in an ambulance........some kid had sliced his neck with a knife because he came on to him.
    I was soooooooo disappointed I was off that day.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sweetheart, they dont lock anyone up in Ferguson for outstanding traffic fines.

We can barely get perpetrators of assult and more serious crimes locked up around here.

All that means is that someone drives around with outstanding warrents and IF picked up MAY be hauled in to be immediatley released. An inconvenience in their day for sure, but no jail time.
    You're probably correct. Jails cost money and since the police force in ferguson exists not to reduce crime, but instead is there to bring in revenue, it makes much more sense to just fine people into oblivion. After all, if they never can get ahead of it then you can just keep stopping them and keep tacking on fines and penalties.

My first car story:

I REALLY wanted the Datsun 510 that bae mentioned. A new one. So I went to my family advisor, my uncle, to see what he thought. He asked me to do up a monthly budget for him to look at and on the basis of that, he told me I shouldn't get a new car, BUT his daughter, my cousin, had a car she could sell me for $100, and it was only a couple of years old. She had just recently driven across the country and back in it with her Hare Krishna friends, but otherwise, it hadn't much mileage. I thought, wow, too good to be true! You know what they say about "too good to be true."

This was a manual Chevy Vega, and for some reason, the paint was singed off in a very weird pattern all across the entire body of the car. I have no idea what had happened to the car, but my heart sunk when I saw it. Plus I had to learn how to drive a stick shift in order to get it out of my uncle's driveway.

I had the car until I got married a couple of years later, when I gave it to my mother, who was completely broke at the time. She had to learn how to drive stick to drive it, too.

Wish I knew the story behind that Vega and the stripped paint. The Datsun 510 sure would have been nice!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I learned to drive a shift in an early '60s Rambler station wagon. My father made my slightly older brother teach me in the arena parking lot at Purdue (when nobody was there!). I loved using the stick shift and was sort of sad when it was no longer the usual. But automatic was a good thing, once my knees went bad. Took a long time to learn not to always lift my left leg and reach for the stick though!

Sorry for getting a bit off-topic Yossarian!

Williamsmith
    Because of reciprocity.....nobody goes to jail for traffic violations. Licenses get suspended. First of all, you’d have to screw up your own day by arresting someone. Secondly, you have to exercise due process and take them before a judge. Thirdly, the judge doesn’t like you screwing up his schedule for a traffic violation and he lets you know about it. Fourthly, after the judge has his hearing, sets up another payment schedule which will undoubtedly be defaulted on even though it is equal to the price of a pack of cigarettes a month.......you get to take the offender back to where you picked him or her up. Just one big waste of taxpayer money. So no.....nobody goes to jail unless they happen to have a kilo of cocaine in that impounded car somewhere. Then being a traffic violator really sucks.

You think Joe D. Ever got a traffic ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    We were going up a small incline that lasted a while and the car filled up with smoke.
    My wife had that exact car and all the same problems you've mentioned as her first car. The only malady she experienced that you haven't already mentioned is that her back seat would routinely catch fire. It's because the seat sat directly over the battery and pressure on the seat, or sometimes something as insignificant as a left hand turn, would cause the seat to touch the battery terminals, resulting in sparks. I'll bet that's where your smoke came from.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information