So I started with simple living back in the early 90s. I think with Elaine St James but it was really YMOYL and this forum (I started with the predecessor forum in the mid 90s) that shaped my views for a long time. One of the best sub-forums used to be the Enough forum, which people frequently misunderstood as having had enough meaning being fed up. But really it was intended as a place for people to recognize they had enough to step back from the hedonic treadmill and lead a more simple life.

Here's my confession: I have had enough simplicity . I've paid everything off, saved enough to retire twice over, fully funded my kids' education, and gave my ex enough to retire comfortably too. Now the marginal utility of dollars saved is significantly outweighed by my sense of having only a limited time left, so I've gone from YMOYL to YOLO. I buy expensive wine, take extravagant vacations, see a play or a concert every week, and eat out almost every night. By YMOYL or MMM terms I am a failure or deserve many face punches. But I feel great about it and have had more fun in the last year or two than I can remember.

Anyone else toed the line long enough to walk away from the principles that guided you for so long?