Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I just kicked Joe Dominguez in the nuts

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I snapped the other day. I normally don't buy corn-on-the-cob until it gets to 6-12 ears per dollar. I was buying some things at the grocery store to make a dinner just for myself, and I bought 2 ears for a dollar. I felt unclean, but heck, YOLO.
    Last edited by CathyA; 10-10-17 at 7:28pm.

Yes the last 3 years we have embraced the spending mode. We are taking 2 big trips a year, going out to eat, going to events, etc. We are having a great time. We are not buying things and have been getting rid of things. I do need a new couch but am waiting for the 80lb shedding machine to die before we get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    They were $5.49 here yesterday....I looked and held them a little while and even tried to smell through the plastic container....but I put them back.
    Haha, sniffing them. Poor you!

I think an important distinction here needs to be made between frugality, which to my mind means living below your means as a strategy to husbanding your resources against the time when you will need them (i.e., "saving for a rainy day") versus voluntary simplicity. The former is a strategy; the latter is a lifestyle.

I'm not saying one is better than the other. I've been a simple liver for many years, partly by choice but mostly by temperament. But lately, like Yossarian, I find myself considering treating myself more often now that I have not just enough but more than enough. I guess I've concluded that a better motto than "less is more" is "all things in moderation."

Another person at the point of YOLO! I have been planning and taking more vacations, spending more for food and drink and doing whatever I please. I do, however, have limits as to what I will spend for things... as others here mentioned. I have a hard time spending $60-$100 for one pair of pants for instance. It totally goes against the grain.

I turned 60 this year and I'm defiantly shifting to the YOLO camp. After seeing my dad and some of my other relatives in declining health makes me realize that I have more than enough. Now I can't spend 5 milllion for a new Plane, but we can defiantly take more trips and do pretty much what we want.

The wife wants a new Lincoln SUV. There really is no reason not to get one, her old car is 7 years old now.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Another person at the point of YOLO! I have been planning and taking more vacations, spending more for food and drink and doing whatever I please. I do, however, have limits as to what I will spend for things... as others here mentioned. I have a hard time spending $60-$100 for one pair of pants for instance. It totally goes against the grain.
    Pants! I got a few pairs at rhe thrift store but they were thigh length so only for very casual occasions.

I couldn't fnd simple black stretchy active wear pants in my length. So, I bought some new ones on ebay for $18. But that cost was bugging me necause I a, used to Goodwill pants at $3.50. Today I stopped into Target to check those types of pants amd found them for $24 and $29. That is Waaaaasy too much for dumb poly strech pants, but
    I am content with that $18 now.

"I just kicked Joe Dominguez in the nuts," so charming.

Yes--it's hard to beat thrift store clothes for value. I used to hit the discounters when I was feeling flush. I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I will willingly pay full retail for clothes.

I pretty much get all my clothes from a small number of vendors: Cabellas, Duluth Trading, REI, Filson, LL Bean. Every year, each vendor has multiple opportunities to get 30-40% off, so I don’t buy anything until they have a sale. And Filson has one outlet store, and a nice person there who will tell me on the phone if they have what I want before I bother to take the trip there.

Thread Information