Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waldorf - jewel of a school or creepy cult?

I've long thought Waldorf creepy, even with a dear friend who taught there. That said, when my grandson was in a preschool I was not happy with (lots of chaos, untrained teacher, etc.) I shocked even myself when I turned to Waldorf. I had to eat a lot of crow with said friend:-) For preschool I think it a wholesome experience. I really appreciate all the outdoor time, the focus on play versus academics, the baking, building, etc. It is quite pricey (I pay for it) so don't imagine doing it beyond preschool. The public schools here are good, however we may research private schools as I'm interested in smaller class sizes. That said, I understand I am grandma and not mom so I really don't have much say!
    Last edited by Reyes; 10-29-17 at 11:19pm.

I love the concept of Waldorf education, especially for pre-k--2. I investigated it extensively for DD years ago, and even looked into training for myself as a Waldorf teacher. But from what I have seen, it is a cult in practice and very elitist and ultimately, I couldn't live with it.

Sounds like many folks would like a Waldorf-y school without the culty/creepy elements.

My daughter's pre-school in another city and her current middle school where we live now follow the "Reggio Emilia" approach, and that has been a good match for us. Compared to Waldorf, Reggio does not seem to have as much of an outdoorsy/nature emphasis as a necessary part of the philosophy, although her current school does a lot of activities outdoors, field trips, time in nature, etc., which I like.

bae - does the school you started follow any particular "philosophy" or guiding principles?

We looked at Waldorf elementary, but that particular one practiced corporal punishment - not for us!

There seems to be a lot of variety among the different Waldorf schools, I've never heard anything bad about the high schools.

I do like that there are (generally) no traditional sports. I've never seen the point of them in schools - football, baseball, and so on. Waste of money, IMHO.

Thread Information