Thread: Gentle soothing touch eases pain

Gentle soothing touch eases pain

After reading Idahl's thread on existentialism issues, I escaped to CBC news and found this http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/touch-...tion-1.4363121 article about the importance of human contact in wellbeing. We need other people, family, friends and even strangers.

Quotes:

Our brains are attuned to combining information from our five senses. And when much of our time is spent engaging with social media, which relies on visual and sound cues alone, it's easy to forget the power of touch, the researchers said. They imagine a way to literally reach out and touch a friend online instead of just "liking" a post or texting an emoji.

'It just requires two bodies doing a very natural thing, socially appropriate and yet it seems to have a very specific effect.'
    - Katerina Fotopoulou
    In person, a hug or caress goes a long way.

"It just requires two bodies doing a very natural thing, socially appropriate and yet it seems to have a very specific effect … that is very plausible given everything else we know in neuroscience and psychology about opioids, oxytocin, all these systems that mediate social bonding."
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    After reading Idahl's thread on existentialism issues, I escaped to CBC news and found this http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/touch-...tion-1.4363121 article about the importance of human contact in wellbeing. We need other people, family, friends and even strangers.

Quotes:

Our brains are attuned to combining information from our five senses. And when much of our time is spent engaging with social media, which relies on visual and sound cues alone, it's easy to forget the power of touch, the researchers said. They imagine a way to literally reach out and touch a friend online instead of just "liking" a post or texting an emoji.

'It just requires two bodies doing a very natural thing, socially appropriate and yet it seems to have a very specific effect.'
    - Katerina Fotopoulou
    In person, a hug or caress goes a long way.

"It just requires two bodies doing a very natural thing, socially appropriate and yet it seems to have a very specific effect … that is very plausible given everything else we know in neuroscience and psychology about opioids, oxytocin, all these systems that mediate social bonding."
    This is one reason why I like pets, they provide good touch from a warm blooded, live being that I welcome.

I truly dislike the idea that "socially appropriate hugging and touching is always a good thing" It is not always a good thing for the receiver and especially not from strangers and acquantances.

We talk about this issue now and then here. I have said this before, but it seems to me that all of this hugging stuff started in the 80's, late 80's. At least, that is when I noticed it.

This is another reason why I think I would like living with Yankees in New England. I imagine them to be cold blooded non-huggers. My midwest region has been invaded by warm blooded southerners and hugging ethnicities. We were originally a LOT of Germans and Scandinavians, non hugging peoples.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is one reason why I like pets, they provide good touch from a warm blooded, live being that I welcome.

I truly dislike the idea that "socially appropriate hugging and touching is always a good thing" It is not always a good thing for the receiver and especially not from strangers and acquantances.

We talk about this issue now and then here. I have said this before, but it seems to me that all of this hugging stuff started in the 80's, late 80's. At least, that is when I noticed it.

This is another reason why I think I would like living with Yankees in New England. I imagine them to be cold blooded non-huggers. My midwest region has been invaded by warm blooded southerners and hugging ethnicities. We were originally a LOT of Germans and Scandinavians, non hugging peoples.
    I couldn't agree more; indiscriminate hugging is rampant--even more loathsome when accompanied by air-kissing. Seat me with the Anglo-Saxon contingent...

I have a close friend who does not have an SO and has not for many years. She does not have any children. She literally is never touched except for hugs from a friend or when she visits her elderly parent who lives in another city.
    I know of others in that situation who enjoy going to a massage therapist or having their hair cut or a pedicure just for the touch of another human being. It's important for all of us to touch or be touched, however briefly, throughout our lives.

Studies show that older people are often touched deprived so pets are great for this. I don't want to hug strangers but friends no problem. My Mom hated to be hugged by strangers. Then my Dad died at a VA hospital after a long illness. They take us to this woman's office just to tell us a few things and she is very compassionate. When we are done she walks over to my Mom and asks if she can hug her and to my shock she said yes. It was a very tender, loving moment and I never forgot it. My mom said later that she would not want her job.

Thread Information