Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple pleasures?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simple pleasures?

Hey all! Today I was enjoying a bowl of grape nuts cereal with milk and banana slices. Delicious! I eat this for breakfast or lunch or dinner.

I found myself thinking (in the words of Kurt Vonnegut): "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is!"

So one of my simple pleasures is grape nuts with bananas and milk.

Another simple pleasure is reading a sci-fi novel.

I'll throw out another of my simple pleasures -- just lounging around with my dog.

Anyone else have simple pleasures they'd like to talk about and share?

A walk in the woods
    A cup of Darjeeling with lemon
    A good book
    A purring cat
    Concord grapes

Yppej
    Lately:

Sunlight
    Fall foliage
    Eye candy
    Jewels switch
    DSW coupon
    Sense of solidarity amongst coworkers
    My son opening the door for me each day when I arrive laden with my lunch box, jacket and other stuff
    Anne Lamott's books, which help remind me of simple pleasures

My #1 simple pleasure is watching my dogs play. My #2 simple pleasure is sitting with my husband in the evening looking out over our fields as crops grow then again after they are harvested at the end of the season. Thought of another, watching a mama and her deer babies (triplets this year) mosey into and around in the orchards. I guess watching things are my simple pleasures.

Thanks for posting this today. I've had a very rough, tiring couple of weeks, but it's starting to slow down now. You know that saying, if psychologically you're not feeling in the best place you should do the HALT test? Am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired? I was all four all this week. I didn't eat at all two days this week, and got VERY little sleep--in fact I went 38 hours without any sleep at all. I was angry at my self for taking on these two particular projects at once because they were a VERY hard fit to get done at the same time, and I was lonely--I crossed the country twice and went to six different cities. Not only that, but I submitted two invoices six weeks ago, and when I went to find out where payment was, I found out they hadn't even been submitted yet! So now they have to go through the system, and I have to go into my emergency fund to pay for living expenses AND last minute house repairs that our buyers are asking us for.

So that's my "unsimple non-pleasure" set-up. I really, really need to spend time today focusing on the simple pleasures.

A simple pleasure so far today has been walking my dog in light rain, making myself two eggs from my favorite local free-range place (one egg was TINY and one egg was HUGE in the same carton--no assembly line to sort them out by egg size). Now I'm in my routine, with a cup of coffee, and the indulgence of maybe 30 minutes online before I get back to work. Dog is at my feet as always.

I'll start there.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Fun and interesting lists of simple pleasures! Keep'em coming.

I wanted to add another one. When I was a kid I'd take a lawn chair or blanket out into the back yard. I'd kick way back or lay down and just gaze up at the stars.

I especially liked this on the very crisp, cool nights of autumn. Lately I have been wanting to do this again...

A hike in the foothills
    Hanging clothes on the clothes line
    Bicycling the local nature trails
    Organizing firewood for winter
    Gardening and eating fresh garden produce
    Reading a good book next to the fireplace insert on a winter night (or any other night) with a mildly alcoholic beverage
    Preparing dinner for special company
    Bird watching

A good cup of coffee (with the time to enjoy it)
    Watching a bonfire/fire pit fire
    Parallel parking properly in one go
    Looking at (and, ideally, smelling) a nicely-decorated Christmas tree
    Seeing a dialog box on my computer state "Backup complete!"
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Early morning coffee on the back porch watching the birds come in for their first meal of the day.
    I've been tracking how many monarch butterflies I've seen daily in their fall migration.
    I find a lot of simple pleasure in moving rocks...I've always been fascinated by rocks and have collected them. I have display bowls of them around the house and can often be found holding a rock or two to ground myself while I breathe and meditate.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

By far my dogs have been my favorite simple pleasure. I love to watch them play, take them for walks and just hold them while I read or watch TV. I also love to walk them and fall is my favorite time of the year with the crisp air and the leaves changing. Now that I am semi-retired I start everyday reading the paper while drinking coffee with my 2 small dogs dozing on my lap. Never any reason to rush in the morning everyday.

Thread Information