Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimalist Music Favorites

Minimalist Music Favorites

I am hopeful that some of you good people will share exemplars of minimalist music that you like immensely.

I would like to start with pianist Ludovico Einaudi. At the present time I am listening to a Youtube of the album Una Mattina. My favorite cut is Nuvole bianche, which I believe was inspired by the poem by the same title. It is a sad poem about lost love. But of course the music can be appreciated outside of this context.

White Clouds
    ... Sighs and tears,
    I haven't got love anymore.
    You were my love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcihcYEOeic

This music through headphones makes my heart throb!

Wow, I just heard of Ludovico Einaudi last week, when one of my Climate Change sites sent me this YouTube of him playing his original composition, Elegy for the Arctic on an ice floe.

He is great. I'll check out some others of his.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I liked that and recognized the music.

Phillip Aaberg is my favorite pianist. I play a few of his pieces. This is one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGh9SWx42A0 and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tWmiGULgfM. I tend to play them a bit slower than written and a bit softer, very meditative.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

catherine,

That "Elegy for the Arctic" video is so-o-o moving... one can see and hear the ice shelf calving icebergs.

R. Carlos Nakai, Native American flute. A bit new agey, but a heavy traditional influence. I've seen him perform live.

John Cage's 4'33" - I greatly enjoy performing this myself, in an arrangement I have created for Bagpipes and Theremin.

I'd like to see you play those BAE.
    One I like may not be truly minimalist (orchestra), as it fits this to me (all the bits combining for the bigger picture):

Dado, I really enjoy Gaia Prime radio playing in the background on my Sonos speaker. Usually unique peaceful music but occasionally it does have more jazz sound for a short time.
    The pianist's performance is exquisite. Thanks for posting

This youtube is beautiful as well. So glad to get to know this pianist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLNtn1uv1X4
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    "Thank U" by Alanis Morissette.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    John Cage's 4'33" - I greatly enjoy performing this myself, in an arrangement I have created for Bagpipes and Theremin.
    Can't get much more minimal than that, although I question whether this piece fully exploits the extensive musical abilities of the theremin.

Thread Information