Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here harvest black walnuts?

Cathy, here is a recipe for the sour cream black walnut cake, from Cooks.com:

SOUR CREAM BLACK WALNUT CAKE
    2 sticks butter
    3 c. sugar
    5 eggs
    3 c. sifted flour
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1 c. sour cream
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 c. crushed black walnuts

Cream butter and sugar and cream well. Add 1 egg at a time and beat well after each. Alternate flour and sour cream beating after each addition. Add vanilla and black walnuts. Bake in tube pan for 1 hour 15 minutes at 325 degrees. Cool before removing from pan.

We love to harvest black walnuts. We collect them and take the green part off right away. DH made a double sided rack to wash the nuts with the pressure washer. Then they are put in water and the ones that float to the top are thrown out since they are no good. We then hang them in mesh bags in the garage to dry. It is a simple pleasure to put on nice music and sit together at the kitchen table and pick the meat out of the nuts. DH already has cracked them open. I love the nuts in baked oatmeal and in many baked goods.

I've never harvested them. Can the hulls be soaked or brined off? Just asking.

When my friend and I walk the old repurposed railway trail, we remove or kick away the massive number of walnuts from the walking area. It really helps the cyclists and other walkers avoid tripping in some way. This year we have kicked a large number so lots of 'hard mast' for the critters this fall.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Tybee.....thanks for that recipe! By "crushed walnuts", do you mean more than just chopped?
    Do you use any icing on it?

Frugal-One........how big is that double-sided rack? What's it made out of? I've been putting them in a big bucket and washing them many times, but draining it after each time is a pain for me. Do you feel like most of the stuff is off after you use the power sprayer? Does that take very long? Do you know....is it bad for a little of the black stuff to stay on the shell for storage? I'm thinking it will probably brush off easily, or just not matter.
    Do you dry them well before storing them in a mesh bag? Thanks!

The rack is about 2 1/2 feet x 2 1/2 feet and made out of wood and large metal mesh (probably 1 inch). We hang the walnuts in the mesh bags to dry... about 6 weeks (???).

Thread Information