Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am here, Maker Faire

I am here, Maker Faire

OMG, I think I found my tribe. I was setting up last night and met some lovely people. I actually already knew a volunteer which was awesome. I checked out the space and then 'ran' to walmart for fabric to cover the long wooden table that was pretty beat up. I also needed letters for my backboard. I have enough stuff to really cover the table and have things you can touch and explore. Some other tables have lots of hands on, others have displays only, and some are selling. I don't have a backdrop, but the lady behind me does so I am not worried. I had been joking about crocheting a full backdrop and then the people across from me moved in with a huge crocheted background including 3D clouds and words and flowers layered. I chatted just for a minute and they said it took 4 people to create. Maybe for next year.

People are super nice, they had food and adult beverages for us at the set up party. I get 3 passes each day and my son and oldest daughter really want to come so that is great. They will come on different days and give me a break, also my friend who I helped with Comic-con and her hubby are coming and will give me a break. The people next to me are a Denver creativity group, forgot the name, that host a paper fashion show every year. One of my mindfulness teacher buddies has actually won the challenge a few years! Also that booth is all French speakers, maybe I will remember a few words. I was talking to them and apparently they don't have Dr Seuss in France so I am going to bring in my One Fish, Two Fish in French book. It is just amazing to me how outgoing I got right away in this place, and in other situations I can be painfully, awkwardly shy. I hope there are ways to keep connected throughout the year.

I am awake early, I wanted to make more things to have to touch and explore. I made a backboard with all the different shapes you can use to construct in crochet but I also wanted the same items that people can touch, in the same color coordinated way of course! Work survived one afternoon without me, kids were fine, however I may actually be able to fire someone or put her on notice on Monday. Apparently she did not do her task on the list and even ripped up my note.

Have a great time, ZG!! It really looks like a cool thing! I had never heard of Maker Faires before. I Googled it and it looks like tons of fun!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sounds great, ZG! I hope you have a wonderful time and forge some new connections with like-minded folks!

Never a Dull Moment at the Maker Faire!

Have a wonderful weekend, Zoe.

Your first sentence makes me so happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Your first sentence makes me so happy!
    Me too--"Finding my tribe" is a rare and precious phenomenon for those of us who aren't flaming extroverts.

On those rare occasions when I find myself enthusiastically talking to someone (instead of staring off into the next galaxy), my SO always remarks on it.

Hurray for Maker Faires; have a bountiful weekend!

So cool, and so glad you are enjoying the fair and have found like minded folk!

Ahhh, I need some time to sit and settle down, I am extroverted out! In a very good way. I met so many people over the last 2 days, I think I need to retire to get every idea I came up with done! Meanwhile I had a lot of fun.

My highlights were
    * my friend who came and gave me breaks both days so that I could see the sights and go to the bathroom
    * 4 families from my school who came to the event and said hi
    * getting invited to a mini-maker faire, a craft show and a maker space
    * meeting another person who draws celtic knotwork and we talked a long time
    * every time that a person walked up to the table, hesitant, and then tried a puppet and broke out in a smile

I got a page and a half of email addresses, handed out my postcards to people, and was asked to teach by 2 people. One does after school and weekend child programming and the other one has corporate creative Fridays and wants to have someone teach adults yarn arts and creativity. I hope that one of them actually works out. It would be so nice to add this type of teaching in my life.

How wonderful ZG that it was so positive. It gives you hope!

Thread Information