Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you embrace Humanism?

Do any of you embrace Humanism?

I am in my sixties and you would think that by now I would have it all figured out, for myself at least. However, I have been struggling with my so-called Christian beliefs, going to church, and overall belief in God.

My whole family is very Christian. To even question whether Christianity is "the way" is very hard for me among my family members. I am very close to my 90 year old father and I don't want to hurt him, so I can't tell him that I have discovered my disbelief in Christianity, specifically, and maybe even God, generally. You may think I am a chicken (I know I am) but I know this would upset my father. I take him to church and I have made a real effort to "believe." But it is illogical to me.

Anyway, Humanism really appeals to me and I am doing some reading up on it. Just thought I would inquire here whether anyone is practicing Humanism or subscribes to its philosophy.

BTW, my questioning is not new, but at this point in life, I want to embrace what I can believe in, and it is NOT Christianity.

Try the Unitarian church in your community... have this conversation there. I suspect you'll enjoy it immensely, and feel well met.

Quote Originally Posted by redfox View Post
    Try the Unitarian church in your community... have this conversation there. I suspect you'll enjoy it immensely, and feel well met.
    Thank you Redfox. I have actually searched out the closest Unitarian to me - about 25 miles away. I do want to attend sometime. There is nothing like that where I live in SoCal. I feel like I am in a "bible belt".

I have been reading on and off about humanism for awhile. I started going to a UU church awhile back because, at least the one I attend, is focused on love, compassion and acceptance of differences... plus, they were closer to my home. I've gone to some humanist, skeptic and atheist groups and really find it great to socialize in these settings. I'm by no means a well informed Humanist but I like what I've been exposed to so far. You could always try attending one or two meetings to see if you click with the group.
    This Rock I Found - Enjoy my judiciously fictitious personal anecdotes in slow motion with some drawn butter on the side.

Thanks for your reply mattj. As I responded above, nothing is really close to me in miles, I agree that UU might just be the ticket for me.

You might also see if there is an unprogrammed style Quaker meeting in your area. Although Quakers are Christians, they don't place any emphasis on evangelism or on showing how Christian your beliefs are, and they place a strong emphasis on individual experience and realization of truth, and on treating all beings peacefully and non-violently. Although I felt like it would take a while to "break through" socially at my local meeting, I felt very comfortable and welcome there, despite being Jewish and an atheist.

You're definitely not alone Polliwog!

I believe that UU has an online congregation for those who don't live close to a church. This would allow you to interact with others and maintain some privacy from your family.

BTW, your desire to not upset your elderly father is not cowardice, but love, and that is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    You're definitely not alone Polliwog!
    I knew I wouldn't be alone on these forums. You are all very supportive of diversity. Thank you CathyA.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen View Post
    I believe that UU has an online congregation for those who don't live close to a church. This would allow you to interact with others and maintain some privacy from your family.

BTW, your desire to not upset your elderly father is not cowardice, but love, and that is beautiful.
    Aspen, thank you so much for your comment. It is true, I have great love and admiration for my father.

Thread Information