Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Disconnect about food and health

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes, that a lot of it. I suspect I will be dead before this roof is fixed.
    In the meantime....put a blue tarp on your roof. No one wants to be that guy in the neighborhood but it beats puttting on a wetsuit instead of pajamas.

Much of life is actually just treading water, you wash your dishes every day just to see them get dirty again, the same with doing the laundry, the same with cooking food. Maybe exercise is the same way. Oh the info-commercials for the latest exercise gizmo promised fantastical miracles, yea it's called advertising, it always does.
    Trees don't grow on money

i have a better idea. Pick up the phone and hire a roofer. Your home is going to get ruined, mold, etc. Not good for your health IL.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    i have a better idea. Pick up the phone and hire a roofer. Your home is going to get ruined, mold, etc. Not good for your health IL.
    +1 ...it’s hard to argue with sound reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have to leave you now, you here in the land of rational thought, and go back to my land of disconnect where I plug my ears and say Lalalala.

This is a huge battle with my spouse about which I have often said we will have to go to marriage counseling to address. However, I do have a plan, but is not a plan that will kick in soon.

and I may be dead before it works...

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have to leave you now, you here in the land of rational thought, and go back to my land of disconnect where I plug my ears and say Lalalala.

This is a huge battle with my spouse about which I have often said we will have to go to marriage counseling to address. However, I do have a plan, but is not a plan that will kick in soon.

and I may be dead before it works...
    Don't wait too long. . . only reason I finally got DH to agree to let me call a roofer to update our old roof was this scare of a hurricane season. And now all the roofers are busy and not calling me back!

Oh, and on the Hispanic foods . . . there are a lot of meals that are FULL of carbs as well as fat. A typical Latin meal may contain white rice (obviously carbs), beans (which have carbs, too), fried plantains (more carbs), and a fried meat. And maybe even potatoes or corn. Not a ton of vegetables there. (I've cooked this often enough to know whereof I speak). I'm not saying this is ALL Latin food, but it's definitely an easy go to: beans and rice and a fried egg or meat.

I spend an hour and a half four days a week in the gym. The same people come to workout and so I get to observe. What I observe is people who seemingly burn a lot of calories but don’t lose one ounce of noticeable weight....ever. The gym has a dedicated fitness coach, whose rate is $20/hr. Many pay the instructor three times a week...which could total easily $2000 a year and many don’t seem to lose a pound.

So I think, okay they first came in at a certain inactivity level....they paid to have that forcibly increased and somehow all it did was increase their appetite and caloric intake so that no difference can be cited for their investment.
    more and more I suspect exercise is the secret. Or every time I weigh myself at the gym, I've lost weight, down 8-10 pounds (and I was within BMI healthy weight even before, just softish, and still am).

I have made zero major diet changes other than reduce cream in tea and dressing on salad (and it's not like my ENTIRE diet is tea or salad, so you would think I would easily offset any calories reduced there elsewhere unconsciously). All I've done is keep lifting weights (and not even that fanatically or anything - a couple times a week). So either I have a horrible wasting disease (sure hope not ), or the scale lies, or exercise matters for weight.

I was philosophically of the opinion diet matters and exercise doesn't for weight, but I can't argue with actual n1 data. However I have read there are probably biological differences in how people respond to exercise, some people's weight is influenced a lot more by exercise than others, it's all genetic, you don't choose it. So I may be one of those people whose bodies does respond perhaps strongly to it. And everyone should eat healthy and get some exercise just for health blah blah but people may differ in how much they can actually allow heavily lifting (exercise) to do the uh ... heavy lifting of weight control. I eat 80% healthy food though probably, have for ages, just amazing I have lost weight without eliminating that 20% or whatever.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    more and more I suspect exercise is the secret.
    Good old Jack LaLanne used to say that exercise is King and nutrition is Queen. So you may be right.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    In the meantime....put a blue tarp on your roof. No one wants to be that guy in the neighborhood but it beats puttting on a wetsuit instead of pajamas.
    A friend of mine recently inherited the home of his longtime best friend. Among other issues it has had a blue tarp on the roof for several years now. (At least best friend lived in the desert so it really didn't rain too often...). Dear friend and I were recently at Home Depot and passed a display of blue tarps. I said "huh. I wonder why those aren't in the roofing supply aisle?" It took about 30 seconds before dear friend understood.

Maybe just call your house a yurt, and say the blue tarp is just part of the tent.

Thread Information