Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking I might retire on 12/1!

The support person job sounds wonderful! Why not go ahead and apply and see what happens--after all, December 1 is only 6 weeks away!

I did the support person job as a Volunteen in high school and loved it. I answered all the call buttons and determined if I could assist the patient or needed a floor nurse or aid. I fetched blankets, pillows, helped fill out meal plans, fetched snacks and even read to some patients or just visited the ones without visitors. It was really rewarding. I would definitely go for that over 7-11! Congrats on being able to set a retirement date!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

OK you guys, I have looked at the numbers every way possible, and I've determined that it is not fiscally prudent for me to retire now. This made me pretty sad initially, but I'm OK with it at this point. I'm going to continue to shoot for 5/1/20, and I plan to do everything possible to maximize my savings between now and then. Really putting myself in the retirement mindset should help with frugality - will I be kicking myself tomorrow for this frivolous purchase today?
    I do have a lot of good things going for me at my job: ability to work from home 2 days per week, nice co-workers and a good manager, pleasant work environment. I get a pension and 401k and medical/dental/life, annual bonus plan and a decent salary. My earning capacity is not likely to improve after retirement - if I'm short of money when I'm 75, it's unlikely that I would be able to go out and earn anything near what I'm earning now. So that's that for now, but you can expect to see more action from me on the Frugals Forum!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    OK you guys, I have looked at the numbers every way possible, and I've determined that it is not fiscally prudent for me to retire now. This made me pretty sad initially, but I'm OK with it at this point. I'm going to continue to shoot for 5/1/20, and I plan to do everything possible to maximize my savings between now and then. Really putting myself in the retirement mindset should help with frugality - will I be kicking myself tomorrow for this frivolous purchase today?
    I do have a lot of good things going for me at my job: ability to work from home 2 days per week, nice co-workers and a good manager, pleasant work environment. I get a pension and 401k and medical/dental/life, annual bonus plan and a decent salary. My earning capacity is not likely to improve after retirement - if I'm short of money when I'm 75, it's unlikely that I would be able to go out and earn anything near what I'm earning now. So that's that for now, but you can expect to see more action from me on the Frugals Forum!
    Do what is best for you. Agree about the 75 remark. I know many retired people working part time. Few make much more than minimum wage.

Rosarugosa, I wen through the exact same exercise in 2003/4 leading to my retirement. You now have a clear direction, a plan and a goal. That is a significant achievement.

May I suggest that you take the next few years to also explore what you plan to do post-work schedule? Too few people do this and then decline rapidly mentally, emotionally and physically. They seem to think that retirement from work also means retirement from active living and contributing all one's talents and skills to the world around them. Self-centred living with just travel and medical appointments is often the result. Really sad to see.
    I have a friend at 96 still driving, volunteering, and feisty. I take her to play cards in local community groups. She is my inspiration .
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    It sounds like you did your due diligence and made a decision based on the best path to take.......for the moment. Things could change and I’m sure you will be re evaluating as you go along. The work you put into this process was very valuable to your future. You will be more informed, be able to rightly decide the importance of each variable and it will feel right with your soul when it is time. It could be 5/1/20 or it could be tomorrow. Keep the logistics front and center but don’t separate yourself from your convictions. You have impressed me with the way you went about this. I salute you.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Rosarugosa, I wen through the exact same exercise in 2003/4 leading to my retirement. You now have a clear direction, a plan and a goal. That is a significant achievement.

May I suggest that you take the next few years to also explore what you plan to do post-work schedule? Too few people do this and then decline rapidly mentally, emotionally and physically. They seem to think that retirement from work also means retirement from active living and contributing all one's talents and skills to the world around them. Self-centred living with just travel and medical appointments is often the result. Really sad to see.
    I have a friend at 96 still driving, volunteering, and feisty. I take her to play cards in local community groups. She is my inspiration .
    This is wonderful advice. In my field of work, mandatory retirement age is 60. But many retire long before that. My magic numbers were 25 years service and 51 years of age. I crunched the numbers with a financial advisor and determined that remaining at work after reaching those magic numbers meant continued stress, enhanced exposure to disease and stress related illnesses, and working for basic minimum wage. To me a no brainer. But what to do after that?

I took a test designed to predict how I would adjust to retirement. Based on my interests, activity level, current involvement in outside interests, and toleration of self motivational lifestyle. I scored very high. I also had no trouble finding employment to supplement my need to socialize and be productive. The hospital job Rosarugosa mentioned seems ideal.

It sounds like you have done some excellent thinking on this, and reached a frugally sound conclusion! It must have been a tough call, given that each option had so many pluses.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support and I agree that it has been a valuable exercise. It made it seem less theoretical somehow.
    Razz, I definitely want retirement to be the beginning of a "next act" and not just an ending. I want to volunteer with the local cat rescue group and help maintain the Lynn Woods Rose Garden. I would like to join the town's tree committee; I've been to a few of their gatherings.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post

For those of us who have given our all for all of our working lives and worked to help the world .... DESERVE to travel and do what we want. It is now time to be "self-centered." YOU may now want to contribute and volunteer. I contributed to society all of my working life. Now is my time. I have many people say I should do this or that. My response is... "I don't want a job!" They always reply... "This is not a job." If it demands I be at a certain place at a certain time... it is a job to me. I deserve to spend my time the way I see fit. I already put in my time! There is so much to do and learn. There is no reason to decline in any way.

Thread Information