Thread: Speaking of Misogyny...

Speaking of Misogyny...

As per: http://www.simplelivingforum.net/sho...reestyle/page2

We watched "47 Meters Down" last night, your basic shark/survival/puzzle film. It was flawed, though had some good shark-jumps-out-at-you moments. The characters and script weren't nearly as engaging as the recent little gem "The Shallows".

Significant effort was required for suspension-of-disbelief on some of the technical points, and on the solutions attempted.

However, what drew our eye was during the credits, where Weinstein had a big shiny producer's credit. odd for a sorta-cheap-independent British film, but probably to get access to distribution.

Everyone in the room at the same time wondered out loud "I wonder if he molested the two lead actresses". Who were exactly the sort of perky young ladies early in their careers that I presume he gobbled up like candy.

Ick.

Interesting, Woody Allen speaks up to defend...:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/15/m...itch-hunt.html

The positive aspect of all this discussion about Weinstein is that it is being judged unacceptable today. Forty years ago or more, it was not unusual in any way. Power corrupts. absolute power absolutely corrupts. is the Weinstein experience going to change things dramatically, probably not.

The RCMP, for example, has an increasing list of sexual harassment against femaie constables by their superiors to deal with as more women come forward. The courageous earlier complaints were discouraged or disregarded to the point that those complainants are under huge emotional stress impacting their lives.
    Aboriginal women were especially abused by those in any kind of power.

Will it revert to the old power structure when society undergoes severe stress? I hope not but it will take enormous effort to prevent it from happening.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    It would help if gag orders as a condition of employment and having to sign a release of all claims against an employer to get severance payments were not common but illegal.

Woody Allen coming to his defense. That is rich.

I truly believe Woody Allen had a weird obsession with his daughter Dylan and he treated her oddly, and sometimes highly inappropriately. Generally, he didnt seem to know how to interact appropriately with any of the kids. The dude was just weird with those kids. Mother Mia had a screw loose too, to think he was daddy material. I hope his family life with Soon Yi is a bit more normal, but that is a weird situation too.

Thread Information