Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Austria Turned Trumpward?

Has Austria Turned Trumpward?

I see that between them, the traditional conservative party and the right-wing populist party (and I mean right-wing as reckoned in Europe) have captured what seems to be a fairly decisive majority. The populists ran largely on an immigration-control platform. I'm wondering if this will create a new fissure in the EU.

New, I doubt it. It seems to be a problem, when ever things change, that immigration and immigrants get lumped together. The good (those that come honestly), with the bad (criminal element).
    The EU lost the UK in part due to that. Greece seems to have had some issues with their debt as well as immigrants from war torn area's, etc.
    I believe the common idea is from the people. Fix our own house first, before helping others.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I see that between them, the traditional conservative party and the right-wing populist party (and I mean right-wing as reckoned in Europe) have captured what seems to be a fairly decisive majority. The populists ran largely on an immigration-control platform. I'm wondering if this will create a new fissure in the EU.
    I saw some of this on BBC news and was pretty surprised. I had thought the WWII experience would have extinguished all of these far right extremists, but they seem to be on the rise again, with some of them adopting the swastika and other Nazi symbols. Very sad to see.

Poland has a President that is trying to take away some of their rights that they have not had that long. The Warsaw mayor is openly opposing him and won't follow some of his directives. It seems like the whole world is electing nut jobs to run their countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I saw some of this on BBC news and was pretty surprised. I had thought the WWII experience would have extinguished all of these far right extremists, but they seem to be on the rise again, with some of them adopting the swastika and other Nazi symbols. Very sad to see.
    Sometimes outawing things gives them great power, makes them attractive.

I still can't fathom the government making symbols like the Swastika and Nazi salutes illegal. That is just wrong. When I toy with the idea of moving to Europe I think about basic freedoms like this being subverted to the politically correct and I think "oh hell no!"
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-16-17 at 2:55pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sometimes outawing things gives them great power, makes them attractive.

I still can't fathom the government making symbols like the Swastika and Nazi salutes being illegal. That is just wrong. When I toy with the idea of moving to Europe I think about basic freedoms like this being subverted to the politically correct and I think "oh hell no!"
    I'd rather live in a country with a few Nazis in it than one that banned Nazis. I'd worry about who they might decide needed to be banned next.

I don't pretend to be an expert in Austrian politics but I understand name-calling. The two winning parties being called "far-right" and "extreme", seem to have gotten something like 57-58% of the vote. Who are they far right in relation to? The Greens?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I don't pretend to be an expert in Austrian politics but I understand name-calling. The two winning parties being called "far-right" and "extreme", seem to have gotten something like 57-58% of the vote. Who are they far right in relation to? The Greens?
    Yep, in modern history, all government sponsored tyranny and genocide has come from the left of the political spectrum (using the US's classical-liberal tradition as a yardstick), whether that was Nazi's in Germany, Fascists in Italy or Communists in Russia/China or the Far East. The "Far Right" label doesn't seem accurate.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yep, in modern history, all government sponsored tyranny and genocide has come from the left of the political spectrum,
    I seem to recall some right-wing tyranny in South America....

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I seem to recall some right-wing tyranny in South America....
    There's always an outlier.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    There's always an outlier.
    By which you mean "Latin America"? Pinochet wasn't the only fun guy in the area.

Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay - these were all fun spots!

Thread Information