Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has Austria Turned Trumpward?

I’d say South America has always been pretty much a mixed bag in the preferred brand of tyranny, often alternating between left and right in the same country. Although historically my impression is that the more genuinely committed ideologues incline to the left while the right-wing dictators seem more like opportunistic thugs in epaulets happy to call themselves anti-communist in exchange for handouts.

Was Somoza, for instance, really committed to much else than himself?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post

I don't pretend to be an expert in Austrian politics but I understand name-calling. The two winning parties being called "far-right" and "extreme", seem to have gotten something like 57-58% of the vote. Who are they far right in relation to? The Greens?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.e3a6b52a80f5

"As in other elections across Europe this year, the far right made significant progress ... But unlike in those nations, in Austria the far right is expected to become part of the government."
    and
    "The Freedom Party, whose first leader was a former SS officer and whose current leader was a onetime neo-Nazi youth activist ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post

"As in other elections across Europe this year, the far right made significant progress ... But unlike in those nations, in Austria the far right is expected to become part of the government."
    and
    "The Freedom Party, whose first leader was a former SS officer and whose current leader was a onetime neo-Nazi youth activist ..."
    So I guess the answer to the original thread question, yes, Austria is going full trump. Delightful.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sometimes outawing things gives them great power, makes them attractive.

I still can't fathom the government making symbols like the Swastika and Nazi salutes illegal. That is just wrong. When I toy with the idea of moving to Europe I think about basic freedoms like this being subverted to the politically correct and I think "oh hell no!"
    Does this lead to spirited debates between you and your Jewish mother?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Does this lead to spirited debates between you and your Jewish mother?
    Oh, she is dead!

But my mother wasnt a logical thinker, so she probably would have a knee jeek reaction to the word "swastika" and agree with anyone that it is bad and should be illegal there and maybe even here. If you asked her she might even say that the Confederate dlag here should be illegal.

And probably would've said that people freaking out about "blood and soil" were just over-reacting?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    And probably would've said that people freaking out about "blood and soil" were just over-reacting?
    I dont know what blood and soil is. Is this comment directed toward me?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I dont know what blood and soil is. Is this comment directed toward me?
    it was a key Nazi slogan involving your ethnicity (blood) and homeland (soil)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post

and
    We could either decide out of hand that six out of ten Austrians are fascist fellow travelers, or we could try to understand the complex concerns that caused them to vote the way they did. But seeing Nazis under the bed is so much easier. That way you can simply dismiss the people who disagree with you as beklagenswert.

Thread Information