Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 years and counting

20 years and counting

I've been with my husband for two decades! As I realize that now, where has time gone? How many years has it been for you two? Stronger or on the rocks? Is there anyone here who also feel the same?
    Was it worth it? Regrets? Plans?

I'm in a chatting mood

27 married 31 more or less together. Life is good! One of the best decisions I ever made. We are enjoying being “empty nesters” and really looking forward to nailing that down when Dd graduates in may. I’lll probably box up her stuff at Christmas time since her last visit she claimed the nicest guest room instead of staying in the room that was hers the last few years.

another decade or so? Until he retires, looking forward to grandchildren.

Married 35 years within the week. The first five were h.e.l.l. We were both unprepared to share life. Counselling and stubbornness helped. Happy now, but also can't believe how much time goes on. So many of our peers didn't make it through their first marriage and by this point are on second, third or more !

Two adult kids who each have three kids, and we absolutely love being grandparents.

Our 41st anniversary is coming up in a few weeks. In the early days, it took us a few years to learn how to live together, how to compromise, but the rest of that time has been heaven on earth.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Heh. Newlyweds here: 7 years married; 10 together. Second marriage for both of us. Wish it had been the first but we weren't the same people back then so who knows if it would have worked? (I can say, though, that I would not have provided her ex's reason for a divorce.) It's good and it has been since the beginning, largely because we learned how to live with someone else during Marriages #1. Plans? Till death do us part. Neither one of us is going anywhere.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

44 here, no kids, happy. I thought I was very independent and am now realizing I need my husband and enjoy being a couple. It was the best decision I ever made and we often discuss how lucky we are.

32.5 years, no kids. Pretty stressful at the beginning with commutes, full time jobs and both of us going to school at night - me first then spouse. Life got infinitely better after about 25 years when hubby really started being an equal partner around the house. Formerly either I did it all, or I had to remember that something had to be done, ask him and hear him grumble about it. Even better now that he's retired and I work from home since he does almost all of the house stuff now. I'm at the age now where I have some money from LBMM and would like to do more traveling, and hubby likes being home. That's the biggest stress we have these days.

Williamsmith
    34 years married, we’ve been friends for 38. I remember the first time I saw her - an underage drinking party at a fraternity. I remember the first time we talked to each other - Between classes ...she standing on the curb, me on the sidewalk. She slipped off the curb falling into me and said, “Nothing like falling for you.” I remember our first date - a college hockey game; we rode on a bus and we held our two pinky’s together.

I dont know if I can say we’re stronger. We came out of the gate pretty solid. It was a struggle the first couple years financially. Then she was the glue that kept the family together for the next 25 years. She lost the person she fell in love with for a long time but she never quit believing that he’d be back. I would never have blamed her if she gave up on me but I would have been surprised. We both come from a long tradition of sticking it out. Thick and thin...all the cliches.

These days, no matter what happens on the outside...we both know what’s in the heart and we cut each other a lot of slack in dealing with each other’s imperfections. We have a lot of pride in what we’ve accomplished and feel like making a difference is about as good as it gets.....even if most of it was in the past.

When we take walks ...now and then, our pinky’s will find each other.

I was 19 and he was 21 when we married in 1981. I can't believe how much time has passed. We were poor for a decade in the middle and now we have plenty. Kids are out of the house but we love their visits and we're friends with them and their families. Grandkids are a hoot.

I tell people we got lucky. It all lasted, much of it due to dumb luck and determination. We are both completely different people now, but we grew up together and in the same direction. We are best friends.

29 years here. DH is pretty easy to live with, easier than me. But then, HEwas the one who really wanted to get married.

Thread Information