Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse Holocaust

We dont have mice in our current place, at least as dar as i know. But when i lived in NYC they were inevitable. My cat Harry earned his keep two or three times per year in that apartment. They'd ysually come out at night and i'd wake up to him scrambling out of bed to take care of business. I kept an old tupperware on hand to remove the little trspassers to the street before Harry had a chance to kill them.

Last year we had mice in the house and DH dealt with them using snap traps.

He had a little "pet" mouse of sorts who lived in the compost pile, who would stand and look up as Dh dumped food scraps into the bin. Food raining on his head! Nice.
    We didnt mind this mouse becase the compost pile is at the back of our property and that mouse stayed where mice belong, outside.

Last year my friend down the block had mice and also a rat. i saw that rat 3 times one afternoon. Ugh.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-17-17 at 4:28pm.

We've fought the battle.

I've used the Tomcat spin trap before. I like that the dogs will not accidentally get into it, and there's no possibility that Mickey is stuck there being held by a paw but not dead...yuck!

I can tell you that having your hubby shoot them with a bb gun is not effective either. The shot bigger ran off to die elsewhere and really stunk us out.

Told an old neighbor that she fed the rats and I housed them. She put out huge amounts of bird seed and we had a big old pile of brush. We got rid of the pile and she stopped feeding so much to the birds.

We have mice all the time......but thankfully, just in the crawl space. We have a small basement, and a small door to the crawl space, so DH keeps about 4 traps with peanut butter all the time. I have to keep after him.......as with everything else. But he gets that job because I don't do stairs well with my knees.

I feel AWFUL killing them..........but then I try to imagine our house burning down from them chewing the wires.
    One time, we had a sudden influx of them in the house (not crawl space). We discovered it was from holes/cracks in the cement between the fieldstone on the outside chimney. DH closed those up and it solved the problem.........but.......I had to remove everything from every kitchen cabinet and clean it out, along with the stove and oven. During this time, I walked into the kitchen, and there was a mouse peering out at me from under one of the stove elements. Every morning there would be mouse poop all of the counters. YUK!! But after the chimney holes were plugged and everything was cleaned up, life was good again!

For awhile, they would get into the basement from the crawl space, but we've fixed that too. I also put one of those rubber extensions under the door to the basement.

For awhile, I tried the hava-hart traps in the basement.......but those have to be monitored constantly, or they are cruel.
    I did use them in the house for awhile when we had so many mice from the chimney holes, but I could check it often and would relocate them down the lane.

I could never do something that was cruel. Those sticky tapes are cruel. We just use the old-fashioned traps. I like to check those kinda often, in case somebody got their leg caught and is still alive.

It's really unfortunate that these guys have to die.........but that's life. They chew electrical wires and poop all over your kitchen. I wish there were a more humane way........like putting up a sign........
    I got one of those sonic things, but they don't work.

One time we discovered that they were digging holes down the side of the foundation all the way down a 4 block foundation and then back up into the crawl space. another time we discovered they chewed holes through our crawl space vents. One time we caught a red squirrel. I hate it, that things have to die.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I hate it, that things have to die.
    Me, too, Cathy. But to your point, it can get nasty to give them free rein, at least in terms of the poop factor. So DH likes the swift retribution and I like the second chance. Both work. Both have their downsides.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Victor style traps but made of sturdy plastic the better to wash away odors before resetting them.

Frugal points, Yppej!

Here's a question: when using snap traps, do you remove the "corpse" and re-use the trap? Personally I just throw the entire thing away -- they cost less than a dollar each and not handling a squished dead mouse is worth a lot more than that to me! But I remember when I was little my dad used to always re-use them.

Yppej
    I lift up the edge of the spring and tap the trap upside down over a trash can so the mouse falls into the trash bag, which I immediately empty.

Thread Information