Thread: Sensory overload

Sensory overload

I think this is more mental health or a question for my meditation teacher. I have been tracking how i am feeling with detail. I am paying attention to time of day and mood (see psych in a month). Generally psych says i am doing amazing compared to others, i however just want to not get in trouble at work or at least let it go better. And the usual issue of not being able to say anything.

What i notice is everything, all the time, or at least the first half of the day. It is worse in the morning and more when i get up very early or don't sleep well. I will be driving and see a taco bell and my brain starts making associations, i see a lot of leaves and recall raking every fall as a child, and so on. It is mixed with a depressive tone until about noon or later, this is typical for bipolar according to Dr. The part that i wonder if anyone else has is the sensory overload and associations with everything you see.

Yes, I get easily overwhelmed with stimuli. Noises, sensations, smells. This is why its good for me to work from home. I like it quiet, and non-smelling. I use unscented everything, even just being around people who have used fabric softener sheets or even name brand detergents like Tide makes me nauseous/overwhelmed. Let's not even talk about people who reheat fish in the office microwave!

I have a tough time in crowds, even while I love the idea of festivals, I hate the idea of being pushed/shoved/bumped into by so many people. I straighten the sheets before I climb on the massage table, because I'm otherwise distracted/disturbed by the way the wrinkles feel on my skin. I love that shirts now have printed labels instead of attached labels.

herbgeek, I think all popcorn should be banned from office microwaves. The burning or other smells always made me sick.

I cannot make a decision when faced with too many choices. Stores are generally not a happy place unless it is just to look at the colors and designs. I find any choice is difficult. However, a thrift store or a garage sale etc. where there might be one or two things and a buy or not decision is so much easier.

Yppej
    I hate the visual clutter of stores too, and was probably one of the few people who liked the original generics that came in all black and white packaging.

"Too many choices means I buy nothing," I told one of the assistant managers in my favourite grocery store as he was tidying a whole variety of orange juice in cartons - with calcium, pulp free, and a number of others - the large choice halts my buying. I wondered afterwards if he verified my thoughts. There are now only two kinds of OJ on display in any one location but more locations for the promo items.

I think having triggers for remembering is normal. A particular smell will set off a whole range of memorable life experiences. A certain word or phrase will do the same thing. Music will bring images from long ago to mind.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I agree with too many choices! People have commented that it is strange that I don't buy breakfast cereal because it is overwhelming. I have 2-3 breakfasts and that is all. Last year when I was shortstaffed and overwhelmed I would not eat a good dinner because I would wander around and not decide. It became a schedule of dinners for me, like taco tuesday (anything Mexican), pasta on Wednesday, a sandwich or can soup on Monday at work before I went to meditation, etc. I started eating much better.

Sounds like I am not the only one. We had a group meeting yesterday and we only have 4 in our group this year as compared to 20. I used to leave the regular meetings and tear up in the car, it was just too much. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who seriously adjusts their life to sensitivity. I will still check in with my meditation teachers and see if they have any suggestions. one just quit being a nun so she is navigating going into the much busier life we all have. She is currently in the recovering fire zone in California,

Thanks all

Thread Information