Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished Year of No New Buying

Finished Year of No New Buying

Am feeling proud of myself for this accomplishment, and thought I'd report some discoveries:

-- it was way easier than I imagined it might be (despite the fact that I never thought of myself as much of a "shopper")

-- initially I needed to remind myself that I was doing this, then it became totally automatic

-- gathering together all containers of soap, shampoo, hand lotion, etc. into one place allowed me to use up stuff -- and I'm still using up things without buying (& will continue to do so until I'm completely OUT of something)

-- initially I allowed myself to buy used, but even this amounted to only 3 pairs of pants & because I'm simultaneously trying to downsize I quit going into shops/stores at all & was happier (& more financially solvent) because of it

-- there is something expansive about just Stopping, and assessing what I have, revelling in both the richness of whatever possessions I have & also recognizing their fleeting pleasure/usefulness -- and it engenders a sort of detachment as well as pleasure.

--I ended up mending some things & felt a "stewardship" in these actions

--last August I began a list of "incoming" and "outgoing" objects & have gotten rid of so many things in addition to bringing in very few. This has kept me moving in the direction I want to go

--I feel liberated!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I almost did a no buy year this year, but then found out that I was pregnant and thought it wouldn't be too practical. ;-) It is definitely something I want to do in the future, though.

What did you do for gifts? That is the one area that I think would really trip me up. We have a huge family, and gifts, while not all that important to me, are very important to them.

Inspiring!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Very impressed!!!

this sounds just wonderful. Well done.

Kelli

My gluten free blog: Twin Cities Gluten Free
    Our house remodel blog: Our Fair Abode

Woohooo! Good for you!

Wow! That is so awesome! Thanks for writing your notes. Maybe some of us will be inspired to try this too.
    "Wealth consists not in having great possessions but in having few wants." - Epicurus

Wow a whole year?! Congrats, that's quite an accomplishment!

Thanks, everybody, for your "attagirls"! It is really helpful to have this network of supporters & encouragers. Otherwise I'm slogging along on my own (weird, to some, I'm sure) way & can get discouraged seeing how there is still a distance to go & forgetting how good habits have been put in place & improvements made.

Kat, the gift thing was a concern of mine, too. For me it wasn't so difficult because the simultaneous No Buy and Getting Rid of Stuff worked together in a nice hand-and-glove way. As I downsized, I kept in mind people who might like certain things of mine & stowed them away for gift giving occasions. Most folks I give gifts to already know I'm a recycler & in my regifting, or giving something of my own, this sometimes opens up new possibilities for others in THEIR gift giving. It's like somebody needs to think it's ok to do this & appreciate the creativity & the gentleness on the environment in making use of what is already present. I know in the liberation I've been feeling with less stuff, I've been hesitant to burden others with more tchotchkes too. So in addition to giving things I already have/had, I also like making things. This includes stuff from the kitchen (cookies, liqueurs, granola), and also craft items (sewn, knitted, and particularly cards -- I've given many card sets as gifts). It sounds like you're surrounded by gift-giving family, so don't know if this is helpful at all, or practical or realistic. For me, I like to give gifts that are consumable so other people don't need to be burdened by my particular taste in something, I don't like adding to anyone's mass of Stuff, and I don't like the idea that I am expected to BUY something for every gift-giving occasion. I suppose if I had no time & MUST come up with a gift I would perhaps opt for gift certificates -- especially to restaurants/cafes, etc.

Thread Information