Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished Year of No New Buying

I especially love your assessments about "reveling in the things that you have" and how this engenders a sense of stewardship of your stuff.

What a great post and accomplishment. I am always attracted to projects like this.

I like this project, almost want to try it. I especially like the mending things. Definitely think I'd buy less if I took this challenge (not that I have a problem with "shopping" either)

Of course I wouldn't include consumables like shampoo or so on (I don't have anywhere near a years supply of these things). And at this point in my life I might buy new interview clothes and the like . But mostly.

I'd probably slightly abuse the used privilege and still buy a few used books, maybe a used kitchen supply occasionally. Hey I have my weaknesses.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 5-8-11 at 2:14am.
    Trees don't grow on money

HI ApatheticNoMore,

Yes! Try it! We can all set our own parameters for such a thing. The interesting thing for me was simply "keeping track". Keeping track of things incoming or outgoing (alot of "incoming" was gifts from others) was totally helpful to me. And of course there are-- and need to be-- exceptions, I think. I bought a new pair of needed glasses & sunglasses, as well as a pair of walking shoes new. I bought some used clothes. I would have bought a used book or two, except that at this point I'm so determined to whittle away at the books I already have. But if I wanted a used anything, I would have bought it. And consumables were not on my list. If I didn't already have (apparently too many) some of those little hotel samples, & toothpaste from the dentist office, etc., I would certainly buy those things. But, on more of a "need now" basis. Not 11 odd bottles of this & that taking up space. And hand lotion! Yikes! It has taken a surprisingly long time to use up some of this stuff, so I now have a more realistic idea of True Need. Anyway, I'm encouraging you & anybody else to set a challenge like this (or something personalized) because it can be a teacher. Plus, I want company!

Thanks, sumarie for sharing how you dealt with the gift issue. I think I feel much the same way as you do--but I am definitely the odd ball in my family. You have given me a lot to think about. There has to be a way for me to strike a better balance. :-)

Congratulations! I really admire you for being able to do this. I think I will try it for a month, and see how it goes from there. Thanks for the inspiration!

This is so awesome and wonderful.

I've been contemplating doing something similar. Because we have so little (dispossessed everything pretty much before moving to NZ), we do actually need some things now-and-again (for home or our offices -- we also run our own business), and so I buy. But I always feel so crazy. I feel like i'm at a cognitive dissonance or something.

I think that, once we have the basics for our household and such set up, we'll probably give it a shot -- see where we are with what we need. I strive to buy nearly everything used when I do buy, and I love the idea of home-made gifts and used/repurposed gifts. Of course, not owning much, it's hard to give a gift that isn't purchased. Still, I love home-made and do quite well with those (i tend to give "recipe" gifts -- all of the consumable ingredients). And one of my favorite gifts to give -- oddly enough -- is toilet paper. Seriously, everyone uses it. BUt, everyone thinks it's a crazy gift. They are probably right.

WOW, I have heard of doing this and you were successful! I try but am only good for a few months, then something comes up...then a few more things But over all though I could not do what you did, I have a happy medium.
    WHAT was will be the first thing you buy new, do you think?

Hi ctg492! I think I became inspired by folks on these forums to try this. My year ended early last month & I still haven't bought anything new (except a lipstick). I'm thinking of buying a travel bag like Miss Minimalist uses (she bought hers from a craftsperson on Etsy). But I haven't gotten around to it so far.

I think it is all a process. At another point in my life I wouldn't have been able or even wanted to do such a thing. And as I mentioned before, the Year of No Buy went along with a serious commitment to downsizing. I'm still downsizing -- having counted my personal possessions I'm very slowly continuing to whittle away at what I no longer really need. There's something luxurious about taking my time with this -- reading books and some magazines & then giving them away, paying special attention to "storage" (if it is stored, I'm obviously not using it now. Will I later? When? Is this really adding value to my life?).

I'm trying to simplify my life, and having unneeded possessions doesn't help (whether I'm bringing them into my life, or they're already here & need to be reconsidered as to the value they add).

(if it is stored, I'm obviously not using it now. Will I later? When? Is this really adding value to my life?).
    I like that line.
    Mine is before I buy something : Will it make me happier? Will it make my life better and improve the quality of my life? Is it a good value?
    Oh how I wish I would have asked my self those questions years ago.

Well done and great job! Thanks for sharing what you did and what you learned from doing it. I SO wish I had known, years ago, what I have learned on these boards...I think I would have spent a couple of years learning to save money and live simply. Instead, I shopped mindlessly, got into debt, and then ultimately sold all my crap at a garage sale (or gave away/donated it), just so I could downsize for a move across the country. I know YMOYL says "no shame, no blame," but I still struggle with feeling like I was such an addicted idiot for so long.

Thanks to all of you, I also am now MUCH more conscious and deliberate about what objects I bring into my life and what purchases I make. It really is liberating to make do with less--I have much more peace of mind and am less stressed overall. I now get the same pleasure from de-cluttering that I used to get from making mindless purchases!

Thread Information