Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reccomend a manual can opener

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reccomend a manual can opener

I like the "smooth edge" can openers, but at this point I may change.

here ie my saga and (the tl;dr) I am currently unhappy with can openers.

A dozen years afo I got my first smooth edge can opener from Papmpered Chef. Loved it! After a few years it wore out, and I fot sn OXO model that was the same. Last year that wore oit.

so, I bought a fairly inexpensive traiditonal can opener that never worked well. I trolled Nextdoor to get a Pampered Chef can opener and after nearly a year, found someone who woild order one for me.

I got the new, expensive Pampered Chef smooth can opener and it is a different design from the old one! Crap. And it doesnt work well. So I looked for a smoothtop Oxo can opener st Target and hells bells OxO. Ow copies the new and not-i proved Pampered Chef design.

I am annoyed and tired trying to find a mnaual can opener that works.

What can opener do you use that you like? Cost is not an object, within reason.

We had a Brookstone can opener that lasted us about 30 years. Replaced it last year with one DH picked up at the grocery store, "Swing-A-Way." So far, so good. Not sure what you mean by smooth edge. One of the wheels is smooth and one has teeth, or notches, or whatever you want to call them. It cost about 5 bucks.
    Here it is:
    https://www.nathosp.com/product/107w...CABEgKilfD_BwE

Yppej
    I don't see a name brand on mine, but it would be a $5 or less type also. Can you buy the things you like with pull off lids so you don't have to use a can opener?

"Smooth Edge" is the name goven to canopers that cut the top off with no sharp edges on the top. It cuts the top differently than conventional can openers. I love them because you can put the top back on and it lightly seals, useful when you don't want to use all of the contents at once.

no, I cant get what I want with pop tops or else I would.

I have one--i don't see a brand name on it, but I would head to Amazon and buy the best-rated smooth-edge opener they sell.

I use an old "John Wayne" can opener... like they had/have in the MRE kits or camping equipment. Even carry one in my little purse! It's come in handy at work to open that occasional can of soup. lol
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Today I was cookng up stuff for the freezer and opened several cans, and this opener worked pretty well. Hmm, maybe I will srick with it for a whlle.

Jane, there were a few negative reviews on
    Amazon for this item that expressed mu exact opinion (that this new design sucks and now it is cheap made in China crap ) but the vast majority were positive reviews. I dont know what to make of this. I suppose this is just one more thing to look out for in vintage wares.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-23-17 at 9:32am.

Can you get a replacement blade for your existing one?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Can you get a replacement blade for your existing one?
    i believe the old one was bent, but am not sure and I have thriwn it away anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Today I was cookng up stuff for the freezer and opened several cans, and this opener worked pretty well. Hmm, maybe I will srick with it for a whlle.

Jane, there were a few negative reviews on
    Amazon for this item that expressed mu exact opinion (that this new design sucks and now it is cheap made in China crap ) but the vast majority were positive reviews. I dont know what to make of this. I suppose this is just one more thing to look out for in vintage wares.
    I've resorted to that lately...

Thread Information