Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving craft hobby into selling

I know what sweetana means, and it is unlikely this becomes a business. But if all Zoe
    Girl expects to make (net) from it is $500 annually, that's ok and it is a hobby. Those are the numbers I would carry into any discussion about how to handles taxes and business license.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-22-17 at 9:57pm.

ZoeGirl,
    I just attended a good size craft fair here in AZ, and no sales taxes were charged. Not sure if that's because they were all individual sellers at a community center, or if the small dollar amounts are exempt, etc. - probably different in different states.

But I also wanted to add that one of the busiest booths there had a lot of useful and nicely sewn items like generous sized baby bibs, and even adult bibs, that were 2-sided washable fabric in nice patterns and colors. She also had children-size colorful aprons that sold well. Everything was under $20.
    Another crafter sold a number of eyeglass cases (I think they were crocheted), plus small crochet bags with a drawstring top that she said were used to collect soap slivers and then use as washcloths. The bags even included a bar of inexpensive soap and sold for $4.

Small stained glass ornaments were selling well. Also hand-knit baby caps and booties, plus adult-size booties, seemed to do well.

I don't know if you could use any of those ideas but I thought I'd pass them on.

Those are great ideas, I was going to also survey my facebook friends for what they thought would sell the best. I agree that anything under $10 or $15 will sell better. The dragon puppets do need to be priced higher than that, and part of that will be sold by connections in my email newsletter. i already do a few email newsletters so I could do a simple monthly one and offer things for sale through that medium. I could also just show off some of the work I am doing which is fun.

Not that you asked for suggestions, but I would buy lengths of crocheted trim, boot toppers, seasonal items, pet toys, pillow covers, gift pouches...

Oh I will take all ideas! I worked on a hat and sweater for grandbaby this weekend. Not anything I would sell because the time it takes, but definitely as a gift. I haven't tried boot toppers but I did fingerless gloves for my daughter.

The pillow coves I'm thinking of would be a crocheted square or circle with an overlapped fabric back, sold without an insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Oh I will take all ideas! I worked on a hat and sweater for grandbaby this weekend. Not anything I would sell because the time it takes, but definitely as a gift. I haven't tried boot toppers but I did fingerless gloves for my daughter.
    Yep, fingerless gloves seem to be selling too, along with pet-related items. Seems like people will open their wallets for babies, kids and pets.

When my Mom retired she made crafts and sold them at fairs. She made some money and really enjoyed it. She sewed Barbie clothes which was a huge seller. She never really got paid for her time but enjoyed it. It sounds like it is fun for you and yo uare not looking to make much $. My Mom never had to pay taxes on it but maybe because her overall income was not high.

Thread Information