Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appliances recommendation for renovated unit

Appliances recommendation for renovated unit

Hi,

I am trying to choose a dishwasher, oven, washer and dryer for a unit I am renovating to sell. I think I prefer mid-range price and quality, so not cheap and nasty and not too pricey. What would you recommend for my situation? Thanks.

In this case, it mostly depends on what deals your local appliance dealers will give you for the whole package. I might not even buy a washer/dryer since a buyer may have their own and that would be a cost savings to you.

So go and contact each dealer and ask for their package price.

The reality of today is that there are only a very limited number of manufacturers making all the appliances on the market. Who is the cost-effective local dealer who will service the appliances if necessary?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It amazes me that no one is ever happy with what is currently in a home for sale (I watch too much House Hunters). Have you considered offering an allowance for new appliances at closing? That way the buyer can get what they want?
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

One piece of advice I will offer is that there is no one company that makes the best of every kind of appliance. Try to match finishes if you can, but, for a moderately-priced house, I would not get too hung up on buying everything in one brand unless I was getting a serious discount for doing so (but, then, if you're buying four appliances at one time, you should be able to get a better price than buying four of them individually).

You're looking at the products sold by three manufacturers. To avoid the "cheap and nasty", you'll want to look at (in no particular order) Frigidaire Gallery; Whirlpool/Whirlpool Gold/Kirkland (Costco is good if you have access); and GE (any line not followed by "Monogram" or "Profile").

There's also Kenmore, Sears' brand, but all of Sears' products are made by other rmanufacturers to their specs, so there's little they can offer you that other brands can't and you'll have to be careful to not get stuck with a Sears warranty or service at a time when the company is a slippery footfall away from shutting all of its doors for good. As razz pointed out, local service is important, which too often knocks out brands like Samsung and LG unless you're in a decent-sized metro area.

There are other lines/manufacturers out there, but they don't hit the spot you seek. If you want to move up a little, you could consider Whirlpool's Maytag or KitchenAid brands. Frigidaire's Pro line and GE's higher lines are, I think, more than you're looking for. All of these appliances are decent and at least will look nice and new.

As for the idea of an appliance allowance, I lke them personally, since what I would want out of an appliance likely is not be what most people want. But I understand that I'm in a minority of buyers on that. Most people like to have something there to complete the picture, and I would venture that shiny new mid-range appliances would better set the tone for showing than a group of older, possibly damaged appliances and a sign near them offering $X for new appliances.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate that. There are so many choices. I was searching on the internet and stumbled upon this Bertazzoni MAS304GASXEX kitchen package, any thoughts on this brand? ​​​​​​​

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by dereklotts View Post
    Thank you all for your replies, I appreciate that. There are so many choices. I was searching on the internet and stumbled upon this Bertazzoni MAS304GASXEX kitchen package, any thoughts on this brand? ​​​​​​​
    I see it comes with free shipping. At nearly $4800 , I would have mighty lofty expectations. I must say that my class status has limited me to Maytag at a quarter of that price.

Typically, I only see high end houses, with either a 6 burner stove or stove with four burners and a griddle. Sometimes when you go that route, they are actual commercial grade appliances that require a higher gas pressure and utility upgrade.

I would match the quality of the appliances with the level of the home value. If it's in a regular middle class neighborhood, I'd go with a nice middle-of-the-road line. If you're in McMansion territory, go for one of the higher end models. If you put $5000 into each appliance in a flip, though, I'm not sure if you're going to get a return on that kind of investment, unless you're selling a very high priced home.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I wonder if this is a legit post, or whether it is pay per click advertising.

Thread Information