Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Expeditions to Trump Country

So people are supposed to be so lacking in righteousness they take no action at all, for some alleged privilege that they allegedly don't know about (but probably do in reality, come now)

Basically whether or not focusing on BP is the right tactic, people often make considered judgement (as considered as anything Eisenstein has thought) as to whether to engage in activism over a particular issue, and it may often weight pros and cons. But it has cons, yes look activists don't always feel they have the power to singlehandedly create utopia out of whole cloth, and by and large they don't wield much power either, they often have to focus on a particular issue, focus on the divestment of a college is showing how little power is wielded by them anyway. The Caltech stuff was probably actively engaged in by climate scientists scared out of their minds, although then clearly the issue is fossil fuels not just BP itself, but people sometimes focus on a narrow winnable battle ...
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    So people are supposed to be so lacking in righteousness they take no action at all, for some alleged privilege that they allegedly don't know about (but get real one can be middle class and know it's a relatively privileged position, and if anyone would know that it's activists etc. although really a lot of activists don't have a lot of money either, yes there are a few privileged activists at college, and there are activists who seem to live hand to mouth in poverty basically). Though it's far happier not to know as not knowing is never worrying about losing privileged nor seeing the pain of those without - so it's a happier position but unlikely to be one activists have so much as they average apolitical person.
    What I took from the article was not "do nothing." It was about doing something without a glossy veneer of self-soothing righteousness, which tends to create two buckets: "The Righteous" and "The Deplorables."

I am reminded of a quote I saw recently: "The world is changed by your example, not your opinion." Sometimes "militancy" is in order, but it should come after serious attempts to understand the "other" and to simply "be the change."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think you need to have some conviction to do something and if this comes off as righteousness to somebody oh well (can't be in charge of managing everyone's mood ..).

If someone actually engaged in activism meets such criticism it would be fair to ask whoever is criticizing: what are you doing as far as activism to change things? If they aren't doing any activism themselves they have little basis for criticism and are almost dismiss-able on that basis alone. Since most people aren't, those who are deserve a fair degree of respect rather than judgement. This doesn't mean that every single campaign is an effective one of course, some may not be thought out, I certainly agree that BP isn't the only problem.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I think you need to have some conviction to do something and if this comes off as righteousness to somebody oh well.

If someone actually engaged in activism meets such criticism it would be fair to ask whoever is criticizing: what are you doing as far as activism to change things? If they aren't doing any activism themselves they have little basis for criticism. Since most people aren't, those who are deserve a fair degree of respect rather than judgement above all judgement from back-seat drivers. This doesn't mean that every single campaign is an effective one of course, some may not be thought out, I certainly agree that BP isn't the only problem.
    You're right, APN. Far, far better to do something than sit and pass judgment. I think there's a line, though, when frustration with the status quo sabotages the "righteous act." Bitterness can be a big spoiler and counter-productive to "the cause." That's what's so admirable about people like MLK, Gandhi, Mother Teresa. They never seemed to harbor animosity to anyone--even their enemies. I think that's the key point of the article.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Trumpsim is brotherhood. He ain’t heavy, he’s my brother.

https://youtu.be/T_xzD8Pn4nM
    You must then be a privileged white man.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    You must then be a privileged white man.
    I don’t feel I have to apologize for my status, my race or my gender. I earned it.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I don’t feel I have to apologize for my status, my race or my gender. I earned it.
    How did you earn your gender? Did you save up for a sex change operation?

How did you earn your race? Did you save up for some transformation like the author of Black Like Me underwent?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

How did you earn your race? Did you save up for some transformation like the author of Black Like Me underwent?
    Perhaps I should have qualified by adding........”it, being my status.” I made a blunder assuming.

I understand that the snarky retort is emotionally induced by the fetid hatred anti Trumpers harbor. People think just because I “explain” the Trump phenomenon....that I am a member of the cult. If you stick to the premise of the OPs remarks, we’ll have a much better discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

Ummm, it was gentle humor. Reminds me of Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ummm, it was gentle humor. Reminds me of Mark Twain.
    Are we still allowed to enjoy his work? I'm not up-to-date.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information