Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use it up before it spoils....what did you make?

Use it up before it spoils....what did you make?

Ingredients:
    eggplant
    tomatoes
    green bell peppers all getting old in the fridge. These were from the last pre-frost gleaning 12 days ago.
    Chicken sausage x4 that have been thawed in the fridge for 5 days.
    Mozerella getting old in the freezer.

What did I do?

Saute 1 chopped onion and 3 large cloves of garlic in a few Tbsp of EVOO. Chop the peppers and add in. Saute another 10 minutes. Chop the tomatoes and add in. Let this simmer for 2 hours. Add some Italian spice. Chop the sausage and throw it in too.

Dice eggplant, toss with EVOO and roast at 450 for 20 minutes in a large pan.

Cook 3c whole wheat penne just 5 minutes.

Take eggplant out of the oven.
    Pour penne over it.
    Sprinkle a layer of mozerella over that.
    Pour "tomato sauce" over this.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.....it's in there now. How bad can this be? We'll see

I have two small sacks full of green beans for the garden that must be used up.

I am using up green, yellow, and red peppers from the garden before DH grabs them to cut and freeze. We already have sacks of these frozen.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-22-17 at 8:53pm.

Just spent the past week clearing up leftover boneless ham over leek and potato soup or diced turkey made into stew. Very tasty but after three days, either dish get repetitious.

Lots of small tomatoes ripening slowly so I have about 5-6 of these golf ball sized gems for lunch and supper.

Had a package of romaine hearts that had not yet been opened after 10 days in the fridge so cut it up today and pigged out on romaine for a change. Will repeat for next two days. Should I sprinkle a little ascorbic acid on the lettuce?

That should get all my leftovers caught up.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I have two small sacks full of green beans for the garden that must be us d up.

I am using ip greem yellow, and red peppers from the garden before DH grabs them to cut and freeze. We already have sack of these feozen.
    A. I went to my farm CSA today and found out I still have a lot of money on my market share. They have a TON of beautiful peppers. So, I can freeze them? (You are probably saying "duh..." but honestly, if I have a big credit to get rid of, should I buy a lot of peppers?

B. So, I had a few garlic bulbs going bad and I planted them today. I broke them all up and planted about 25. We'll see what happens..can you plant bulbs that are less than perfect? I think so.. at least I'm hoping so.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    A. I went to my farm CSA today and found out I still have a lot of money on my market share. They have a TON of beautiful peppers. So, I can freeze them? (You are probably saying "duh..." but honestly, if I have a big credit to get rid of, should I buy a lot of peppers?

B. So, I had a few garlic bulbs going bad and I planted them today. I broke them all up and planted about 25. We'll see what happens..can you plant bulbs that are less than perfect? I think so.. at least I'm hoping so.

Re peppers: sure! Slice them into fairly thin slices, put them on a cookie tray, freeze them, then put them all i to a bag to store in tha freezer.

about garlic, I dont know but DH who is here said that you should plant your biggest and best cloves. But if smaller ones have been planted what is the harm? None, or the resulting plants will be small.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-22-17 at 8:34pm.

Yppej
    I harvested all the parsley and out it in an omelette.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Last year I got a huge box of green and red peppers at the end of season for $10. I was slicing and freezing peppers for a week! It was great to have them all winter.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Re peppers: sure! Slice them into fairly thin slices, put them on a cookie tray, freeze them, then put them all i to a bag to store in tha freezer.

about garlic, I dont know but DH who is here said that you should plant your biggest and best cloves. But if smaller ones have been planted what is the harm? None, or the resulting plants will be small.
    thanks, IL, and thank your DH, too! (And thank you, too, FloatOn)

I'll make sure I get back there and buy more! They're so beautiful--rainbow colors.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Last Wednesday's harvest.
    IMG_2184.jpg

i still havent attacked the green beans, but half of the tomaotes and nearly all bell and pointy peppers have been used up in entrees that I put i to the freezer.

Here are photos of yesterday's harvest. I cant use all of these ornamental gourds so I suppose I will offer them on
    Nextdoor for free.

The giant sweet potatoes are from our sharecropper (haha, our friend who "rents" some of our garden space, paying us in sweet potatoes.) She reccomends that these cure for a few weeks. i dont have expertise with that curing so will have to read up on it.

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

On my walk today I scored free food neatly wrapped in baggies, clearly today's lunch given out to the homeless. My walk goes through an area filled with churches that have feeding programs.

Here are today's lunches:

Contents are fine for my consumption. The only borderline thing is the container of Mandarin oranges which has a "use by" date of April 2017. I will eat them, however.

I have written here many times about my observations of waste, trash, and filth generated by homeless people as well as vast amount of food pantry items found in dumpsters. I never give to food drives as a result. I think suburban do-gooders need to spend time on tne streets to see where some of their well intentioned gifts end up.

Really, if these people would just deposit their freekin' trash into a freekin' trash can, I would be much calmer about this dtuff. Still, if I find 72 cans in a dumpster (as I did years ago) it kinda makes me go "hunh?"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information