Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artificial Sweeteners

Williamsmith

Artificial Sweeteners

I started consuming zero calorie, diet drinks. Then I started researching the sweeteners. Probably should have switched the order of these two things.

After drinking sodas (pop) that contained aspartame, sucralose, erythritol, and monk fruit ...I finally settled on stevia leaf extract.

My new experiment is with Zevia.

I am concerned that some some research suggests that diet drinks may actually contribute to weight gain simply because you body expects a certain amount of calories connected with the sweetness of consumption and may adjust accordingly by causing food cravings.

Just cant win can you?

Yeah, I don't use any artificial sweeteners. One Lent I gave up sugar and it broke me from sugar cravings in beverages (believe me, I still crave Mounds bars!). I don't drink any soda anymore--I'll drink sparkling water or home-brewed iced tea. I guess I have one exception: I'm not opposed to the fructose in wine
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I use Stevia by Twin Sugar when I want something sweet for a change like a hot chocolate. Occasionally, I will simply make myself a homemade jam and bread sandwich but that is so rare.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It seems like all of the artificial sweeteners end up being toxic in some way. Remember how saccharin could cause bladder cancer? Well I think aspartame can really affect some people's neuro systems, so I actually prefer the saccharin occasionally and just go with plain sugar the rest of the time. And yes, I've heard it often that diet drinks can stimulate your appetite too.

Have you all heard about the couple of law suits against soda companies that call their product "Diet Coke", "Diet Pepsi", etc.? It's ridiculous. It says that these companies are making people think that there's something magical about losing weight if they drink them. How silly is that? Of course, the less sugar you eat/drink, you might lose a little weight (if you make other changes), but seriously.......who thinks that the very act of drinking something called "diet...." will make you think you will automatically lose weight? It's crazy.

I've tried Stevia and can't stand the after-taste. Like I said.....I just usually use plain sugar and accept the consequences.

I notice a lot of my overweight relatives consume a lot of diet sodas.

Yppej
    I have lost weight while eating stevia sweetened Triple Zero yogurt. Today though I ticked two pounds upwards after eating Italian pastry at work with I presume real sugar. Back on the wagon tomorrow.

I drink a couple of diet sodas every day. I try to stick with Pepsi products that use sucralose rather than aspartame, if it really makes a difference. I don't think diet drinks are especially healthy and may stimulate some sort of sugar/carb craving in a vicious loop, but I really don't have much desire to change. In my hierarchy of foods to avoid, diet drinks just don't rate that high. I do use Stevia products for baking. I find that too much leaves something like a metallic taste in the back of my mouth, but if I go easy or add a little sugar to a Stevia mix, I can get acceptable results with muffins, cakes, and pies, which I make sparingly but do not wish to give up completely.

I use Truvia (a mix of stevia and Erythritol) in drinks and in baking. I do not like the taste of just stevia. Trivia has natural ingredients and conversion is to use half the amount of sugar.

I don't use any of it. Stevia tastes like blagh, although it works in a few things (hibiscus based teas aren't bad with it so that's one of the few things). The trader joe's half stevia, half sugar lemonade is a good use of stevia.

I drink water, black tea (sometimes with a small amount of cream), mineral water, carbonated water, herbal tea. That's mostly it. But occasionally something else if I want it: fruit juice, lemonade, real hot chocolate, something mildly alcoholic - but the total consumption of any of these things is no more than once a week, so not worth worrying about much I figure. I'm sure it's been over a decade since I've touched sodas, well they caused me pain (too acidic for my body to handle) so that was kind of that.
    Trees don't grow on money

I haven't used artificial sweeteners in years. I don't use sugar in coffee or tea. Don't drink soda (although I do drink some carbonated and mineral water). Very small amounts of juice. Some kombucha. I watch ingredients and try to stay away from added sugar, whether that be sugar or corn syrup, or fruit juice concentrates.

And lots of water.

Of course, beer offsets a lot of that :-)

Thread Information