Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artificial Sweeteners

Williamsmith
    My original interest in stevia arose out of concern about consumption of aspartame (Nutrasweet or Equal). It seems like many 5hings researched on the internet, you can find reports of dangerous side effects as well as assurances that world food regulatory bodies have deemed it safe at enormous quantities.

I am just curious how the sugar industry interacts with the artificial sweetener industry but thinking they are probably one in the same.

I don't use 'em. I do have a bag of stevia-based sweetener that I bought to try out on things like berries; it's OK though I'm not at all fooled that it's sugar.

Like so many other things dietary, for me it's easier to 'just say no' than it is to find the holy grail of benign sweeteners.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Dr. Stephen Finney, someone whose work I admire, has said that the worst artificial sweetener is ten times safer than any form of sugar, and I believe him.

Every time a new non-nutritive sweetener emerges, scary stories of dire consequences soon follow, promulgated no doubt, by the powerful sugar industry. (And as far as I can see, generally baseless.)

I use liquid sucralose in my tea or coffee, fearlessly.

the only artificial sweetener I use is Stevia in the Raw. And I only use 1/3 to 1/2 packet in my large tea steepware bottle. Just to take any edge off strong tea. I do use regular brown sugar in baking, and am leery of trying stevia as a sub for cane sugar. I know there is brown stevia too; some of my friends use it for baking. But I'm kind of a baking purist, so reluctant. I don't bake much, but when I do, I like authentic recipes.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Williamsmith
    This is one of the more recent reports on artificial sweetener that I have located. It gives a nice history on sweetener but doesn’t resolve the suspicion that artificial sweetener might not be of any use in weight control. How else does one satisfy their craving for sweets without sugar? Sugar has much more negative research outcomes than any of the artificial sweeteners.

http://ktla.com/2017/07/17/study-sug...d-weight-gain/

I collect recipes; I must have a million of them by now. Though none of them contain sugar, they're all "authentic."

Sugar substitutes are useful in that they substitute for sugar, which is more or less toxic in any quantity for most people.

My doctor told me to avoid that artificial sweeteners as they increase your appetite. Last week on the news it was said three, Diet Coke, Pepsi and Dr Pepper are being sued and added the recent study claims there is no difference between weight regarding diet drinks and sugar drinks. You can probably google that lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    My doctor told me to avoid that artificial sweeteners as they increase your appetite. Last week on the news it was said three, Diet Coke, Pepsi and Dr Pepper are being sued and added the recent study claims there is no difference between weight regarding diet drinks and sugar drinks. You can probably google that lawsuit.
    In my experience the substance that most increases appetite is carbohydrate, which raises blood sugar sharply, which causes your pancreas to secrete insulin, causing hunger.

As i suggested above, the most useful attribute of non-nutritive sweeteners is that they're not sugar. i don't expect them to work magic.

Thread Information