Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Screaming at the Sky

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Lastly, why are blue states so expensive?
    They're nice places to live. It's the law of supply and demand.

Actually at this point just about any decent sized urban area is getting expensive (or have you not checked recently). Yes some more than others of course, but it seems widespread.

I suspect the economic situation might be bad enough many places that people leave to anywhere they think they might be able to land a decent job though ... and place expensiveness way second to that, rightly or wrongly.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    So shouldn't the residents be willing to pay for it? Or would that make them a red state?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej: You know it!

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    So shouldn't the residents be willing to pay for it? Or would that make them a red state?
    We do pay for it in higher state and local taxes. If you then tax those already taxed amounts, you have double taxation. So conservatives, why is double taxation so bad for corporations, yet so acceptable for residents of blue states?

So conservatives, why is double taxation so bad for corporations, yet so acceptable for residents of blue states?
    I'm conservative, and I think that particular line on the napkin doesn't *seem* sensible at first glance.

We do pay for it in higher state and local taxes. If you then tax those already taxed amounts, you have double taxation. So conservatives, why is double taxation so bad for corporations, yet so acceptable for residents of blue states?
    How is that different from the estate tax?

For the record, I'd rather we all pay as little tax as possible, but I'd also prefer fairness. How can you rail against one and be in favor of another?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    One is income you've earned. The other is what someone else, now dead, earned and is giving to you, what you're getting because you happened to be born into a family with assets to pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, Trump's tax "plan" is nothing more than some bullet points scrawled on a cocktail napkin at this point. I'll wait until I see some details. Some of the bullet points seem.....ill-advised....purely at the #hashtag level of analysis though.
    Until I see something posted on the <congress.gov> website I agree that at this point it is a napkin/bullet point plan.

It might be interesting to compare how red and blue states tax and spend revenues. Here the growth and housing prices have been amazing the last few years. We have light rail, a newer airport, nice parks, bike lanes, and a huge open space program for hiking, biking and other recreation. My county has had a one-half percent sales tax voted in years ago that is dedicated to developing and managing recreational open spaces, so there are vast natural areas around the city. It's a nice place to live to start, but investments in amenities has helped. No doubt legal recreational pot has attracted some young people, but the polls have indicated not as many as some claim. I could fall into the if you build it they will come theory. I can't even speculate on how red states or red cities tax and spend, but would guess it is more conservative.

My city is vying for the second Amazon headquarters, which I understand could add 50,000 jobs. Because of some of these things, they say we are near the top of consideration. There is even a growing opposition to this because of already crowded highway and escalating home prices.
    Last edited by Rogar; 10-28-17 at 9:07am.

Thread Information