Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Screaming at the Sky

It's circular--nice places to live draw residents, which drives house prices up, which generates more tax revenue, which buys good schools, library systems, and transportation, which attracts new businesses, which bring more new residents...Scenic beauty seems to be a feature of a lot of blue states-- certainly this one--and I like that we have a highly educated population that is not afraid of new ideas. Or ideas whose time has come.

Cannabis doesn't just provide amusement for the young, it's popular among the older set, as well, to treat pain, insomnia, anxiety, and other delightful side effects of aging. Families with children with seizure disorders have moved to states where it's available and legal, as well. In legal marijuana states, opioid use is shown to decline--not an inconsequential benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    Where did you get your information? I am curious and have searched but I cannot find any concrete information just a bunch of opinions and speculation. Sure would like to know something for sure if you have sources.
    Here is just one place I saw the information.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/27/u...lass-poor.html

A snippet of interest too....

Mr. Trump is proposing to cut taxes during one of the longest economic expansions in American history. It is not clear that the economy can grow much faster; the Federal Reserve has warned that it will seek to offset any stimulus by raising interest rates.

At the time of the earlier cuts, the federal debt was considerably smaller. The public portion of the debt equaled 24 percent of the gross domestic product in 1981, and 31 percent in 2001. In June, the debt equaled 75 percent of economic output.

The Trump administration insists that its tax cut will catalyze such an economic boom that money will flow into the federal coffers and the debt will not rise. The Reagan and Bush administrations made similar claims. The debt soared in both instances.

If I receive a substantial tax cut, I will certainly spend the $$$ investing in useful local-level businesses and Needdful Causes. Which might stimulate at least some small part of the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    My city is vying for the second Amazon headquarters, which I understand could add 50,000 jobs. Because of some of these things, they say we are near the top of consideration. There is even a growing opposition to this because of already crowded highway and escalating home prices.
    WI is bidding for Amazon too. Governor Walker just got around a $3billion approval for FoxConn too. Makes absolutely no sense since the unemployment rate is 3.5% (last I saw) in state as a whole. I just read an article that we are going to have worker shortages shortly. So, why are we trying to add to that problem? FoxConn is going to get paid an EXORBITANT amount for each job they bring to the state. Supposedly, it will take around 25 years to see this recouped. There is no guarantee this type of business will be around that long based on technology. Also, EPA rules are being tossed out the window to accommodate them. Not a great precedence to set!! I am ashamed to say I voted for the moron, Walker!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If I receive a substantial tax cut, I will certainly spend the $$$ investing in useful local-level businesses and Needdful Causes. Which might stimulate at least some small part of the economy.
    I'd say you are unusual. The line of work I was in, I investigated all types of businesses. As a rule, the more they made, the greedier or tight-fisted they got. I saw very few businesses pass the $$$ down to the little guy.

The thing i'm cutrious about is how they plan to pay for a $1.5trillion tax cut for rich people. Or are the republicans finally going to admit that they were never concerned with fiscal responsibility and that the laffler curve is a whole lot less curvy than claimed and is actually worth about as much as the napkin it was written on.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It's circular--nice places to live draw residents, which drives house prices up, which generates more tax revenue, which buys good schools, library systems, and transportation, which attracts new businesses, which bring more new residents...Scenic beauty seems to be a feature of a lot of blue states-- certainly this one--and I like that we have a highly educated population that is not afraid of new ideas. Or ideas whose time has come.
    Along with self-segregating by housing costs, I think we also need to consider the impact of restrictive zoning. Combined, this can create situations like we see in California, where wealthy enclaves can afford nice amenities, but the State as a whole has a dreadful poverty rate. Or why so many "blue states" rank among the highest in income inequality. It's easy to congratulate yourself on the quality of life you've achieved if you can push the poor outside your borders by restricting the affordable housing you'll allow.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#8d3b81812d98

http://www.epi.org/publication/incom...-1917-to-2012/

Yppej
    From the second link I see that rich people do well everywhere except West Virginia.

In any case, screaming at the sky seems like a reasonable way to diffuse some Trump tension.

Thread Information