Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use AAA?

I think the peace-of-mind element is worth something. The times we've needed a tow, we're already behind schedule because of whatever prompted the tow. To start looking around for some towing company -- especially out of town and especially before the era of smartphones on cheap data plans -- is just one more hassle.

Maybe in the age of gigabytes of cellular data and yelp and the like, that part of auto-club service is as duplicative as trip-mapping. But having just one number to call still has its fans.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I think the peace-of-mind element is worth something. The times we've needed a tow, we're already behind schedule because of whatever prompted the tow. To start looking around for some towing company -- especially out of town and especially before the era of smartphones on cheap data plans -- is just one more hassle.

Maybe in the age of gigabytes of cellular data and yelp and the like, that part of auto-club service is as duplicative as trip-mapping. But having just one number to call still has its fans.
    The peace of mind is what works for us. In the past two years, I think we have used it
    in Ohio while on a vacation, coming out to find one of our tires flat, at the motel
    in Michigan in our driveway, to the mechanics when car could not be driven
    in Michigan 40 miles from our house, not near any thing
    routinely to get discount on motels, although AARP works fine, too
    I think there is a 10% discount at Dunkin doughnuts that we have used

It goes with the cardholder, so my husband has also used it for one of his musicians whose car would not start--he was with her so he called it in.
    I like this aspect when traveling with my kids, so I can get us help if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    The peace of mind is what works for us. In the past two years, I think we have used it
    in Ohio while on a vacation, coming out to find one of our tires flat, at the motel

It goes with the cardholder, so my husband has also used it for one of his musicians whose car would not start--he was with her so he called it in.
    I like this aspect when traveling with my kids, so I can get us help if need be.
    I forgot about the tire changing service.

If I were single I would probably have AAA because I am old now and peace of mind is worthh it.

But with DH around, not necessary. Once I did run into a curb and popped a tire when he was out of town. i dont carry cell phone. But I had on walking shoes, it was a pretty day, and I just walked a mIle+ to the home of a friend. He drove me home. I waited until DH was back in town to deal with the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

That's exactly why I stick with it. I remember when my car wasn't that old I had a blow-out on I-95 on a Sunday night as the sun was setting. I DIDN'T have AAA and was cursing that I had no number to call and help me. Luckily a Good Samaritan pulled over and changed my tire for me (and wouldn't take a cent). But the next day I joined AAA.

And, yes, Tybee, it's GREAT to be able to use it even if it's not your car.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes, absolutely. Tow service, not insurance. I have AAA Plus, which allows tows up to 100 miles. Have had it since my touring days as a puppeteer. First bought it in 1987 and have used it many times. I rarely bother with even changing out flat tires unless I am in a hurry and the expected wait is too long. I have cards for me, my wife, and my daughter.

It gives me wonderful peace of mind.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

I have roadside assistance through my auto insurance with the emergency number listed on my insurance card. My take is that they offer the same roadside assistance as AAA for a fraction of the price. I used to belong to AAA mostly for road side help, but this was a lot less money. Fortunately I've never need it, so I'm not sure how responsive they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I have roadside assistance through my auto insurance with the emergency number listed on my insurance card. My take is that they offer the same roadside assistance as AAA for a fraction of the price. I used to belong to AAA mostly for road side help, but this was a lot less money. Fortunately I've never need it, so I'm not sure how responsive they are.
    We have roadside assist through our insurance (state farm) for a few bucks. Find out what they offer. Mine even came to my house to change a tire for me. I believe I can use it 3x a year on each car. I actually had to use it 2x in the same day! Tire went flat. They arrived within 20 minutes (the texts to confirm and arrival were nice) changed the tire. I went and had the tire fixed but as soon as I was home it was flat again! There were actually two punctures! Called they arrived again in 20 minutes, changed...I went off and bought a new tire.

I do know how to change tires but our tire guys put them on so tight I just can't budge it and DH's back isn't what it use to be. If I can call someone, I will.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

AAA, Good Sam etc will not handle horse trailers/horses/ so I use US Rider . It has come in handy a few times

Yppej
    I stopped by AAA today and, by paying my auto insurance for the year at renewal time, got a 10% reduction in my premiums. That alone covers my annual fees. I forgot about hotel discounts as I haven't travelled recently but will be taking advantage of them next year.

With CAA, the movie tickets or recreational centres and museums have a reduced rate by buying them in advance. It does add up $$ over a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I stopped by AAA today and, by paying my auto insurance for the year at renewal time, got a 10% reduction in my premiums. That alone covers my annual fees. I forgot about hotel discounts as I haven't travelled recently but will be taking advantage of them next year.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information