Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Give It A 100 (or 20, or 30) - November

You guys made a lot of progress while I was gone!

yesterday I added starting a few pieces and some finishing work to my list.

today I will definitely unload the kiln and do some glaze work.

Good job, all! I'm one of those "everyday" people who tend to start challenges and let them drop off as life gets in the way. But I've noticed that each time I challenge myself, I stick to it a little bit longer. I've challenged myself to cut carbs, and even though I'm not as strict as I was 6 months ago, I'm still checking labels and making low carb-conscious choices or cutting back on lunch/dinner carbs to let myself have a caramel latte, etc. While that, hopefully, will continue for the rest of my life, I literally need to get my house in order. I've tried committing to 3 hours a week, which isn't making much of a dent, and is too easy to avoid because it seems to hopeless. I'm going to try a different mindset. Instead of just organizing/decluttering, I'm going to try thinking about it as good management for our (DD, Dsis, myself) side business, which is antiques and flea-market sales. (Those are at two different venues, btw.) We currently have shops in two malls, one strictly quality antiques, and the other antiques/collectibles/home decor (which is what I call "flea"). The stuff littering my house is for both. IF I can manage inventory better, my house will look better! At least that's what I'm telling myself. And most of the time I really enjoy the mall shops. So I'm going to try to 30 days of "managing" - doing SOMETHING, big OR little, for 30 days straight. And I'm going to let myself start last Friday, lol. So Friday we priced and packed a tub of merchandise for our antiques booth. Sunday, we took that tub and a few things that wouldn't fit in it TO the booth. Today I'll price and pack a tub for the flea booth. So that's 3 down, 27 to go!

Welcome early morning, It sounds like a good plan that will help in 2 areas, always a bonus! Your lower carbs has become a habit which is the goal, I think. congrats.

Early morning, you can be my “buddy”

today i unloaded the kiln, started a couple of pieces, did some finishing work on a couple of other pieces, broke something (hadn’t been fired yet, so no loss but time and wedging), glazed nine ornaments, and put the first coat (of 3) on two bowls.

i also talked to dh about my time and commitment to my studio work, and made a mess starting to unpack things to decide about inventory.

Welcome, early morning! I've had the same experience with these challenges - that even after they were completed some of the good habits stayed around. For years, I tracked my earning and spending in Quicken in order to get out of debt, and though I haven't been able to get back to that habit yet, the years of doing it made me much more conscious of my spending and ways I could cut back on it.

Also, what you achieve - for 30 or 40 or 100 days - is what you achieved. I consider every day of healthy eating or decluttering or writing or exercising a permanent accomplishment. As they say,"They can't take that away from me."

As expected, I'm having to let a few days of writing slide while I catch up on work stuff, but I still think I can make my next benchmark of 60 days by November 15.

Good luck on the 60 days EJ. I like the idea that "they can't take that away from me!"

Thanks for the encouragement all - today I had to leave work early because DH had an appointment so we took the tub of things DD and I priced yesterday to the south of town mall. AND I cleared off one end of the dining room table. ejchase, I like the permanent accomplishment idea too. I have two big barriers to getting things done. One is my love of reading - and the other is my crappy attitude. I try really hard to NOT project it, because people who do that drive me nuts (hellllloooo, kettle!!) but it's a refrain in my head.... what does it matter? you're going to die someday and what then? you know you just drag in more stuff when you clear something out so why bother? even if I get it cleared up, then DH or DD will just expand their crap (they might, but not as much as mine, I'm sure!)- one of the kids might want that someday! what if I NEED a _____??? on and on and on..... RE-FRAMING how I look at things really helps me - I really appreciate the way this site gives me alternative views and other ways to see problems. THANK YOU ALL!

Early morning, I recognize your thoughts! Reframing is helpful. Every little step helps, too. One end of the Dining room table clear is a good thing. We'll be cheering you on.

I think that’s my problem with things like cleaning the kitchen. It absolutely can be “taken away” and it’s guaranteed to happen. If not today, then tomorrow.

today I put first coats on 10 more ornaments and a large bowl. That stays done! Also I carried some boxes up to my new work table in the loft and started unpacking and sorting for inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I think that’s my problem with things like cleaning the kitchen. It absolutely can be “taken away” and it’s guaranteed to happen. If not today, then tomorrow.

today I put first coats on 10 more ornaments and a large bowl. That stays done! Also I carried some boxes up to my new work table in the loft and started unpacking and sorting for inventory.
    Chicken Lady, I have a lot of trouble cleaning up the kitchen at night, especially when my daughter is with me, and I've just gotten through bath and bedtime routine with her. But every time I manage to do it, it's like a huge gift to myself the next morning when I walk into a clean space. Yes, it will get dirty again, but I still consider that good feeling I gave myself that day something that counts.

It sounds like you are getting a lot done in your studio!

Thread Information