Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front entry decoration in November

Front entry decoration in November

Looked at the other forums but none seemed to fit. November is a darker, colder month and my front entry needs some colour. It is too early for Christmas or winter decorations and the bright yellow mums are starting to fade a little. I have three round concrete urns that I keep filled and colourful. What do you do for November in your outside display that is cheerful and fairly easy to do. I will change to the ' coniferous greens of winter' arrangements in December; they last till early spring when I remove the obviously Christmassy accents in early January. Need some ideas please.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Looked at the other forums but none seemed to fit. November is a darker, colder month and my front entry needs some colour. It is too early for Christmas or winter decorations and the bright yellow mums are starting to fade a little. I have three round concrete urns that I keep filled and colourful. What do you do for November in your outside display that is cheerful and fairly easy to do. I will change to the ' coniferous greens of winter' arrangements in December; they last till early spring when I remove the obviously Christmassy accents in early January. Need some ideas please.
    Well, oranges and browns are the traditional colors of November decor. Pumpkins, varigated squash, browned grasses. Add accents of variegated green squash for pattern.

In November I throw my old Victorian shawl (photo attached) on our dining table, a table that has been bare for the summer. Winter is time to cozy up the place with additional fabrics and soft surfaces. I love this shawl for its brick red, dark green, burnt orange, and cream and black colors. It just speaks "fall" to me.

tomorrow I am decorating the lunch table for my garden club meeting. Wanting to stay away from traditional orange/brown, I am using dark red and purple as base colors. Since those are saturated, I plan to give contrast and relief with greenery in light tones.

For outdoor decor I love love love ornamental cabbages. It has gorgeous purple and green color and texture. Pair it with something smooth (yellow squash?) and dried grasses for height.

Attached Images Attached Images

We might be on the fringe of the New Mexico influence, but I've had chili ristras on porch overhangs. If you're not familiar, they are dried red chili peppers tied together into string a couple or few feet long. Being the end of chili harvest, they are common this time of year. The chili pods can be ground into a red chili for cooking. I'm thinking about getting a red chili wreath for the font door this season.

So glad you posted. I'm looking for fresh ideas myself and was a bit disappointing in pinterest. It seems to skip from Halloween to christmas.

Love that shawl.
    Last edited by Float On; 11-2-17 at 12:29pm.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Yppej
    My marigolds are frost hardy enough that they are still blooming.

IL: that shawl is really pretty. I simplified by stopped decorating the front door about 10 years ago.

I've gotten some seasonal wreaths at the thrift store. I change these out so I hang one with greens and light florals for spring, then another with brighter colors for the summer, etc. My house colors are light grey and front door is a bronze-colored security door, so I need colors that contrast for it to stand out.

I stopped at my favourite garden centre to see what they had. I looked at some 'gazing balls' but they are 10" and I need 12" plus they will not tolerate temps below freezing which is what I need. Plus they were priced at $65 each. Yikes!

I did have a look at the dollar store but I don't like a tacky look from phoney flowers.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I made a fall wreath of orange leaves accented with purple mums from the dollar store. $6 total, I love it, and have gotten many compliments. (had t make my own because I wanted Fall and not Halloween.)

I ended up moving the mums around in the urns and rearranging the gourds in a new basket in the entryway. I bought some of the 20" mesh ribbon that I will make into blue and white blooms tomorrow or try to anyway. If I can make some mesh blooms to insert into the sand of the urns that would be wonderful.
    I like the idea of a wreath the can be designed with a seasonal accent. It is my concrete urns that need some ideas. I found some coloured stainless steel gazing balls online but they were even more expensive than the glass ones that I had looked earlier today.

Thread Information