Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front entry decoration in November

Razz: do you look on pinterest? I saw urns there the other day where they used a wreath to form the base. I've got two big urns myself. So I'm thinking a fall wreath, hurricane lamp, gourds and leaves until December when I can change it up a bit for Christmas.
    ebfc1986898246ac21dd6408a37f84d1.jpg Fall (add feathers, deer antler sheds, gourds, leaves) then for winter go with something like this a65859c1e0536840da5979618b852add.jpg

This is nice love the little berry vines and use of ornamental cabbage 168e185d42be2f107855871035a725a0.jpg
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Float on, that was exactly what I had in mind but need to find the vine to work with. One urn is 12" and the other is 10". I am going out to get my winter tires put on so was going to have another look for the materials. I did look at some tall twigs but $18 for a few, maybe 9 in total, was way too costly for this thrifty shopper but there must be more options.
    Thanks for posting the pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Razz: do you look on pinterest? I saw urns there the other day where they used a wreath to form the base. I've got two big urns myself. So I'm thinking a fall wreath, hurricane lamp, gourds and leaves until December when I can change it up a bit for Christmas.
    ebfc1986898246ac21dd6408a37f84d1.jpg Fall (add feathers, deer antler sheds, gourds, leaves) then for winter go with something like this a65859c1e0536840da5979618b852add.jpg

This is nice love the little berry vines and use of ornamental cabbage 168e185d42be2f107855871035a725a0.jpg
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I like that winter one with the lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I did look at some tall twigs but $18 for a few, maybe 9 in total, was way too costly for this thrifty shopper but there must be more options.
    That's me too. I'll walk around Michaels with my coupons and their sales and decide it's too much. We have wild grape vines so I'll take a walk in the woods and find what I can. I felt so guilty buying a bag of pinecones...If I'd just thought to go get some out of the windbreak while I was home at the farm last weekend!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I know, I cant buy grapevines, twigs, and pine cones because those are around here when I pay attention. Even deep in this urban environment I have many sources for this kind of thing. We actually have grapevines on our property, the tiny farmette, because DH grows grapes. Of course we never get any of the grapes because critters steal them. Our community garden has a big grape arbor, always a source, too.

I know the best sources for many things that are natural decor. There is a big Osage Orange tree in Tower Grove Park that throws off hu dreds of bright green balls each year. Free for the taking.

I am going grape vine hunting with my dog this afternoon. Looking at the images posted by Float On, I went to a Dollar Tree store and found some sunflowers, butterflies, kids 6" brightly-coloured sponge balls, plastic fruit, a tall candle-like carton, etc that I would have never looked at before. This afternoon is going to be fun! Thanks.
    I fill my pots with play sand and an oasis and have a wonderful base. With my live greens later, I will first place a large soaked oasis and then wet the sand and the greens last a long time.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I am going grape vine hunting with my dog this afternoon. Looking at the images posted by Float On, I went to a Dollar Tree store and found some sunflowers, butterflies, kids 6" brightly-coloured sponge balls, plastic fruit, a tall candle-like carton, etc that I would have never looked at before. This afternoon is going to be fun! Thanks.
    I fill my pots with play sand and an oasis and have a wonderful base. With my live greens later, I will first place a large soaked oasis and then wet the sand and the greens last a long time.
    Please post photos! I'd love to see what you come up with. I'm headed over to Dollar Tree myself after watching a few youtube Dollar Tree Christmas DIY. Then today is a perfect day to walk the woods for twigs and vines.

Not sure how to post photos any more. Different people who are more knowledgeable than me have posted about problems. What is the best way to post photos here these days? I use my iPhone for a camera.

I tap the photo icon looks like a little tree in a frame right above the typing box and pick basic uploaded select the photo from my phone or computer and click upload.
    I had to stay in town today. Didn't see anything at Dollar Tree. Went to Liwes and they had 50cent sale. Even an 8 pack of ornamental kale was 50cent! Got some viney stuff, grass,panzies, and kale. Looked everywhere and finally found reasonable lanterns at wmart. Saw some giant ornaments for $5. At the thrift shop got a cool painting of winter field trees and barn in kind of light green shades so pretty and $5 for 2.5' x 1'
    Last edited by Float On; 11-4-17 at 12:37am.

Williamsmith
    In order to collect grape vines of a usable size, you are going to have to take with you a set of pruning shears. Look for hemlock trees next to over grown hedgerows. Grapes love to climb them. I used to make Christmas wreaths with my aunt, back when tv consisted of ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS. That and put together jigsaw puzzles at night. Happy hunting.

Thread Information