Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walmart has artificial christmas trees up.........

IL: So you are saying that they do pay for other types?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    16 or so types of birth control are covered under Hobby Lobby's employee insurance plan. Maybe you'll have to refuse to shop there for other reasons?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

How about because it shouldn't be their right as a private for-profit company to determine which type of birth control women should use when this is far better determined by a woman's own needs. Oh but I forgot sexism means that women never know what is a good choice for them but people who wouldn't pass a basic biology class and don't seem to understand human reproduction do. Never mind.
    Trees don't grow on money

I looked it up. It is great that they are paying for most types. I am still not happy about not paying for IUD's. The morning after pill is a gray area but a woman could have been raped and then needed it. As my Mom used to say-"If men got pregnant birth control and abortion would be a god given right."

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    No their position wasn't reasonable it was completely stupid. The need to take sex ed 101 because they don't know anything. It's hard to believe that people can reach adulthood with that level of the astounding ignorance about human biology and flaunt it. They should at least talk to an actual doctor or two before inserting foot in mouth. Because there is no difference between how the birth control they don't want to pay for works (at least as far as IUDs are concerned) and how birth control pills work. Noone else is obliged to respect them for being as dumb as a pile of rocks and pretending this stupidity is principal in order to maximize profits at the expense of their employees healthcare. At least the Catholics are more consistent with their natural family planning it seems to me (not the most effective of course, I just said consistent).

No it's not like I would be shopping there a lot, what does Hobby Lobby have that I could possibly need or even want, I haven't even figured out.
    There is that medication popularly known as “morning after”pill, does that count as a method that inhibits a fertilized egg? That one is obvious.

There is one IUD that works in a way that MAY inhibit the viability of a fertilized egg. From what I read of (granted) web -general articles years ago, and at the time anyway, there was no universal clarity as to how it treated a fertiziled egg, at least the medical community was divided. It worked but there was divided opnion about how it worked.

There is another aspect to this that I cant remember details of but it has to do with timing to define what “fertilized”really means.

There is one IUD that works in a way that MAY inhibit the viability of a fertilized egg.
    it is my understanding that so might birth control pills if somehow a fertilized egg happened. It's not either of those methods primary mode of action. That's why I said I don't think there is actually any difference between what they fund and what they don't. They have taken pure conjecture and fake news entirely too far.
    Trees don't grow on money

Are you going to be a business or be a religion? Boston does not want Chick Fil because they give a lot of money to anti-gay groups.

I looked it up. It is great that they are paying for most types. I am still not happy about not paying for IUD's. The morning after pill is a gray area but a woman could have been raped and then needed it. As my Mom used to say-"If men got pregnant birth control and abortion would be a god given right."

I am glad that you at least recognize morning after pill as a “grey area.” I think those who are concerned about that method of birth control are not raving lunatics, but if you read Planned Parenthood media pieces on
    hobby Lobby you will see that they make no effort to distinguish between any kind of birth control in this issue to paint all as are raving lunatics who just want to see women barefoot and pregnant.

And also it is not all iUD’s Hobby Lobby objected to, just one type.

To your final point which is basically “someone will be inconvenienced” I have to say, well, yeah. No kidding.

But the big important picture here is that we are NOT talking about outlawing anything. We are not talking about disallowing insurance companies in general to not cover birth control products. we are not disallowing any organization to pay for a birth control product for Hobby Lobby employees of fertile age range (a tiny percentage of the population.)

For practical purposes this is a non issue. For a broad constitutional issue of freedom from government interference to practice religion, it is a big issue.

Edited to add: good god, I jus looked up the cost of Plan B “morning after” pill. It is in the $30 range. The wailing of victims in this issue is completely ridiculous. Women now have unfettered access to Plan B, it is cheap, no dr requored. And still thhe whining goes on.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-7-17 at 3:32pm.

Williamsmith
    Are you going to be a business or be a religion? Boston does not want Chick Fil because they give a lot of money to anti-gay groups.
    The Supreme Court has already decided that corporations can be the same as “person” for the purposes of the law as it refers to religious freedom. There have been plenty of exemptions made for religious convictions, not the least of which was the opting out of Social Security by Amish sects because it violated their religious objections to “insurance.” From what I know of HL, they don’t open on Sunday...they pipe in religious music.....they don’t sell anything with alcohol in it.... if they are hurting their business model like that just is they don’t have to pay for a few birth control prescriptions, Well seems a stretch to me.

Thread Information