Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walmart has artificial christmas trees up.........

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I've been wondering how the Hallmark stores are hanging in there financially.
    I imagine Hallmark stores took a hit with the spread of sites like Facebook, which not only reminds you of a friend's birthday, but almost literally puts the comment field in front of you to type your wish right then. Instant gratification. :-) The only time I buy cards anymore is for people who are not on Facebook or even on email (I like to send personal notes to birthday celebrants).

The ornaments, IMHO, have descended into that special place occupied by so many other manufacturers (comic books, scale-model toy cars,...): lots of licensing/product/event tie-ins and a steady stream of "this year's ornament", almost none of which will be worth anything ever because they're creating "limited editions" in the hundreds of thousands and everybody thinks they'll be worth a fortune someday.

I actually have some (too many) that I've received from my mom over the years; enough that I choose subsets of them for each year's tree. Our tree has been shrinking over the years (following my declining interest in putting hours into decorating it and taking it all down). If I were smart, I'd sell some of the lesser-loved ones on craigslist or such now (before Christmas).
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

Friend worked for Kmart for many years.Labor day weekend all the display trées were assembled and decorated in the store room to be moved onto the sale floor at whatever date they decided.
    Hobby Lobby also puts out all their Christmas decor late August- early December.

Quote Originally Posted by gmpg54 View Post
    Hobby Lobby also puts out all their Christmas decor late August- early December.
    I get craft/hobby stores putting out Christmas stuff because you need time to complete the project before the holiday season. But that doesn't mean the entire store has to go "White Christmas". And Hobby Lobby has plenty of stuff that requires no assembly or craft.
    If Americans expended even a fraction of the energy on civic engagement that we spend on consumer ideology, our democracy would be much healthier. Can you imagine people camping out to vote? -- Charles Roberts, Amherst, Mass., Nov. 25, 2006

I rarely set foot in a store anymore. I buy most things online and my DH does the grocery shopping.

I have to admit I was in Michaels this morning(using the 40% off coupon of course) and I still prefer in-store shopping vs. online.

Michaels also has their Christmas items out, and it's nice to see the new and different styles on display. I like seeing the scale of things, and feeling the material they use, plus stumbling onto something that I wouldn't normally have searched for. Doesn't mean I have to buy it, just that it can spark some creative thinking for gift-giving or my own crafting. Scrolling through screens on a laptop just isn't the same.

Oh, I was in Hobby Lobby back in early August, and I swear to you that had not only Halloween stuff out, but Christmas stuff too.

Our Hallmark stores always had their ornaments up in July.

Neighbors had their Christmas Lights hung today by their yard company. Ugg

I won't shop in HObby Lobby because they hide behind religion so they don't have to pay for birth control for their employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I won't shop in HObby Lobby because they hide behind religion so they don't have to pay for birth control for their employees.
    I suppose it doesnt matter to you, but Hobby Lobby et al were opposed to only one type of birth control out of a large array of birth control products. The method that treats a fertilized egg is the method they found incnsistent with their religious values to not “ end human life after conception.” They were fine with methods that prevented fertilizing an egg which is what the vast majority of current, effective methods do.

This seems an important distinction to me. And that position seems reasonable to me.

Just because I dont personally give a rip about a fertilized egg doesnt mean that others should not. I dont require lock step actions of social control.The Catholic Church is probably a bigger offender in the game of insurance covering free birth control than Hobby Lobby, anyway.

I shop at Hobby Lobby but am alternately horrified/mezmerized by it for reasons that have nothing to do with birth control. All of that cheap crap from China fills my basement and my head with potential floral designs.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-7-17 at 2:09pm.

No their position wasn't reasonable it was completely stupid. The need to take sex ed 101 because they don't know anything. It's hard to believe that people can reach adulthood with that level of the astounding ignorance about human biology and flaunt it. They should at least talk to an actual doctor or two before inserting foot in mouth. Because there is no difference between how the birth control they don't want to pay for works (at least as far as IUDs are concerned) and how birth control pills work. Noone else is obliged to respect them for being as dumb as a pile of rocks and pretending this stupidity is principal in order to maximize profits at the expense of their employees healthcare. At least the Catholics are more consistent with their natural family planning it seems to me (not the most effective of course, I just said consistent).

No it's not like I would be shopping there a lot, what does Hobby Lobby have that I could possibly need or even want, I haven't even figured out.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.