Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: my day just got significantly worse

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    Some of you may know from previous posts that my job has been a big disappointment and a letdown since I got it. For various reasons, I feel stuck here (as well as in my personal life) and cannot seem to make a change (esp. since I live in an area where there are few decent jobs).

Today I found out that my only friend at work is leaving to go to another job. She works part of the time in systems admin, and that part of her job will be taken over by someone that nobody likes.

The rest of the staff? Half of them I wouldn't trust as far as I can spit, the rest are really dull people with whom I have nothing in common.

I am going through such a hard time right now in my personal life. It's just been one thing after another, and now this.
    Sometimes a job is just a job. It pays the bills. I have no close friends at work, most just can't be trusted. Work on being positive and start the networking as advised.
    Look at Indeed.com and other job sites. Keep an eye open for those admin jobs where you are. My daughter has had a hard time finding a full time job. She interviewed over a year ago and was recalled a few weeks ago for interview and got the job. So, I guess even when we interview and do not get it, all is not lost. Sometimes they save the resume of ALL the ones they like.

Tenngal, yes, I've kind of come to the conclusion that work friends may not be the best idea. And indeed, this job is just a job. While I would be willing to accept an admin job, I feel very very disappointed that I spent 7 years in night school getting my BA, and the great job I thought I was going to get--the one that was going to get me out of the pink collar ghetto forever--just didn't work out for me. I did have a hot-sh*t job for 7 years and it destroyed my confidence in myself, and basically gave me a nervous breakdown after I was mercifully let go. I've always wanted to have that "fulfilling career" one hears about, but honestly? I think it's a bill of goods we've been sold. Let's face it: For centuries, most people worked so they could eat. The luxury of even choosing your job or career is largely a 20th century concept.

The BA still puts you in a better position than not having it although that may not be obvious (ie even the admin job if you decide to go for it might choose you over someone who doesn't have a BA).

Quote Originally Posted by frugalone View Post
    I've always wanted to have that "fulfilling career" one hears about, but honestly? I think it's a bill of goods we've been sold. Let's face it: For centuries, most people worked so they could eat. The luxury of even choosing your job or career is largely a 20th century concept.
    yes that seems to apply more to the few than to the many even now, it's a 20th century concept for a certain socioeconomic group that thinks they can achieve it and maybe won't even then. But the many have always been peasants, and even if we manage to be peasants with ok salaries much is as it's always been. Work that is fulfilling simply isn't going to be what most people have.
    Trees don't grow on money

ApatheticNoMore--that's one big reason I went for the BA. Figured it was better than not having it. Though for the job I have now, all the job specs say is "must have high school diploma." Depressing.

Had MORE bad news at work today. They are shutting down our building for 4-6 weeks this coming summer. There will be no electricity or AC. However, the kicker is: We'll still have to come over here to retrieve books for people. You know with construction, 4-6 weeks means more like 6-8. I can't even imagine how this is going to work. IMHO, they ought to just shut it down, lay us off for those weeks, and cancel summer classes. We hardly have any patrons during the summer anyway. I seriously mean it's like a morgue in here.

Trying not to worry about it because I really hope I'm working in another dept. by then.

EDIT: Wait, they said 4-8 weeks. And no one has any idea what's going on yet. Help...

What is your BA in? I got mine in psychology and could not do a thing with it so then I went to grad school for a degree which was preparing for a certain type of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    What is your BA in? I got mine in psychology and could not do a thing with it so then I went to grad school for a degree which was preparing for a certain type of work.
    English, w/a concentration in writing (as opposed to literature).

I was a writer professionally for more than 10 years. As I mentioned above, the last job nearly did me in. I think partly because they hired someone to wear three hats: place and track advertisements; act as a graphic design backup; and write stories and press releases.

I had no problem writing, but was a failure at graphic design. It was not until after I left the job, and took a course at a local college in graphic design, that I realized that it is a whole career in itself. You don't just throw projects at people and expect them to be able to design. The bosses at the job were asshats.

After I left, social media exploded and it seemed that every job I looked for wanted someone to manage social media for them. I've volunteered to do it at my current job, but they don't want me doing anything that is not in my job description. (I know, I know...) I now feel outclassed, outmoded and ready to be put out to pasture.

What about picking up the classes you need to teach English? At the secondary level it is often only about 18 credits so would not take long. Most likely you would still be in the pension system that you are now. Graphic design is a career all of it's own. When I was helping people with disabilities return to work one of the things I did was evaluate them and provide career counseling.

I am incapable of teaching anyone. First of all, I have no patience and would likely snap out on someone. Second, I cannot stand teenagers (or college students, for that matter). Or any kids, to be perfectly honest. Teaching is the last thing I could ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    What about picking up the classes you need to teach English? At the secondary level it is often only about 18 credits so would not take long. Most likely you would still be in the pension system that you are now. Graphic design is a career all of it's own. When I was helping people with disabilities return to work one of the things I did was evaluate them and provide career counseling.

Masters in library science might be the degree if you want to continue in libraries (you work in a library if I recall). Just throwing that out there, perfectly ok if you don't want to (and yes any 18 unit path would be quicker), as I don't think we all have the energy to endlessly reinvent ourselves our whole lives while keeping up all other demands in life. So merely an idea.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information