Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stepford office

Oh that sounds horrible, I like a little personal stuff. Honestly no one cares about my space and it is a freakin' disaster. I have a small room for me and my assistant and we store pretty much all our supplies for programs there as well.

I know my ex worked in a classified environment and they had to clear the desk every night. Many things had to go to a safe. However I think he was allowed to put his phone his own way and have a photo up.

I just read an article about stupid sh** that makes good people want to quit. One is to take a problem of one or a couple people and then turn the solution into a policy for everyone. Another was being excessively controlling. I don't know if your new guy is just controlling or if they can't manage that one messy desk person. It is poor management skills to make everyone follow a rule to manage one employee.

IL - I had a 'pens without caps' rule. It came after pen leaks over and over.

I have no issue with the "clean desk at end of day" rule. But making us keep a nearly totally clean desk during the workday is the problem. We have file carts with hanging files showing 1-31 tabs. Anything you have to do on a particular day goes in that specific day. It's our habit to pull out all the same kind of files, for example, all the ones that need customs clearance that day or needing to trace on the railroad or with the airline. Pull out stack of files for tracing, trace them, then put them in the next day. If some are available at destination, and need to be dispatched to trucker, put those aside to take care of at once when tracing is done. Like with like.

But this BS of do a file, put it away, take out next file, then put it away, is very inefficient and a total waste of time.

Then there's us not having enough space for reference materials due to the cube shelves that have to be kept totally clear. I've left my reference materials where they are for the time being. They are mostly in binders, so they are neat.

We are a very file heavy industry. One file for each shipment. Lots of paper. The Google office look does not work for our industry.

It seems like a typical new manager who does not know the job you do and just wants to prove authority. Another common scenario is a promotion of someone who sucked at the job and now wants everyone to do things his sucky way. I hope that his head is removed from his hind regions soon. Is he walking around and checking too?

The VP is a she and a total Barbie. She used to be the HR manager which makes her essentially "the enemy." She has industry experience, but it's been a long time since she did operations.

When I worked for the state we had offices with windows. It was nice. Then they decided to not pay for as much space and started chopping up the spaces smaller and smaller and some offices did not have windows. They decided that they wanted the people that worked more closely together right next to each other. So for instance they put a secretary in an office next to a counselor, etc. It was a stupid idea because our office space was not that big to begin with. So my work group was only 4 people and we got moved to the worst offices with no windows. They were very small and the air and heat did not work so well. 3 of us were professionals yet the secretaries for the other department had much better offices. So I had a professional photographer take pictures of all my 4 dogs posing individually and together. I printed them out and papered the entire wall behind me in my office with them. I was told to remove them and said no unless I get a office with a window or show me a state rule. They backed off pretty quick and I think the reason why is because I was doing the work of 2 people after we lost a position and I could have slowed down instead of working like a maniac.

Lord save us from petty tyrants.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Total control freakishness. Do you know if they have any candidates in mind so the VP can go back to her own job?
    I strongly suspect that if Tradd's new supervisor reports to the VP and the policy does not bomb out as totally unworkable (i.e., it costs the company money somehow), the policy will stay even if it has to be mandated down a couple of layers of employees.

Sounds like it's time for a little job-action strike...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, the temporary head boss for my office is the VP. My direct manager and supervisor have been the same for more than a year.

Well, VP hasn't been in the office today and we're all just working as we ordinarily would, with lots of files out while we're working. LOL. Direct supervisor and manager think the VP's edicts are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Well, VP hasn't been in the office today and we're all just working as we ordinarily would, with lots of files out while we're working. LOL. Direct supervisor and manager think the VP's edicts are stupid.
    That seems helpful at least, when the VP is out everyone can do a regular type of work!

Thread Information