Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stepford office

Weird update of sorts:

I always get a box of candy from a customer for Christmas each year. This has been going on for 11 years. I always have a few pieces and share it with my department. When it came, boss opened the package even though it was clearly addressed to me, let me have 1 piece, and then put it in the lunchroom, where the many warehouse workers quickly ate it.

The rule now is that all food items received as gifts have to be shared with everyone. We can't even keep items to ourselves in the office. if you even bring anything to the office to share, it has to be put in the lunchroom, which means the warehouse workers who are many, will quickly devour anything put out.

So if you brought homemade whatever, you can't even offer it first to the office folks, it has to immediately be put in the lunchroom. There's an off chance there will be some left by 10am.

I'm not going to bring anything to the office anymore. The warehouse folks are primarily temps and just trash the lunchroom daily. I'm not feeding 50 people just because the big boss has some weird ideas about sharing. The warehouse folks are always bringing in stuff amongst themselves, right down to Birthday parties at lunch to which they keep amongst themselves.

Are you serious? I never even opened my daughter's mail, never mind an employee's. Wow. I agree. When it gets to the point where sharing cookies with a cube-mate is contraband, that's too much.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

So....are you back to checking to see if any other offices across the country need help? There are other places to check out the scuba scene.
    I'm so sorry it's become to toxic there. Unbelievable.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Probably not even worth raising the issue of the inequality of warehouse workers not sharing in the same manner. The manager is ultimately very short sighted. He should be working to increase morale of the office workers as well as the warehouse workers. He sure is not.

Here's an idea.........Make some chocolates laced with ex-lax and address it to you and send it to your office.

Sounds crappy, and that you were already sharing nicely. I wouldn't be happy.

I do have experience with lunch rooms being trashed by people and it is really gross. I started bringing some lunches in warmer weather that don't need the lunchroom microwave and then eat outside. Not such a good option in your climate and this time of year!

Come to Denver, lots of booming economy and legal substances, but crazy rental prices.

Yppej
    Our bigwigs seem to be taking all our holiday treats. Today a coworker was talking about sending a package anonymously to our department to see if we get it.

I don't mind because it helps me stay on my diet.

We only had clean lunch/break areas with either
    1. Assigned clean up duties and rigid rules. Like everything in the fridge is thrown out Friday afternoon. Period.
    2. One employee just assumes the clean up duties. Not fair but others just let them do it. The messies are not even embarrassed about it.

I have been looking for another position. The problem is that with my experience (nearly 25 years), education, and brokers license, many people consider I should be in management. I don't want that at all. The positions available that are sort of equivalent to what I'm doing now would require a $15K-$20K pay cut.

Most positions open are for management. The positions out of my area will not pay any sort of moving expenses.

Yppej
    Could you start your own consulting company, or do the same work you do now as an outsourcer?

Thread Information