Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rant of the day - Of neighbors and lawns

Yes, I guess manicured lawns spells tidy and safe when one is hunting real estate. However, the Edward Scissorhands look scares me. I have a lot of trees to contend with on our little lot - a 40 ft spruce, maples, pines, red oaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    WE live in a high drought area. Many people are either using astro-turf or doing xeroscaping. WE used astro-turf for our dogs. We do need to pick up the leaves as it won't help fake grass. In the front yard we have no trees. However, our neighbors huge tree manages to blow all his leaves in our yard. It stops with us because we live in a 1950's ranch area but our house has a front porch added that stops the leaves from traveling. Ugh! I am really getting to hate that tree. We have 3 fruit trees in the back yard and do give away the fruit we don't use to anyone as it is wasteful to let it rot. OUr new puppy just loves the leaves. He loves to jump in them and bring them in the house. He is only 4 lbs so it is quite the sight.
    re bolded

sing it sister! Trees are The Enemy.

The "lawn" at my beach house where my mother lives consists of native beach grasses, which are robust, need little water, and hold the beach together during storms. It looks great to me, and requires zero maintenance:

The neighbors on the several lots to the West of her all maintain urban-style lawns. Two of them are the two highest users of water in the village's water district from the amount of watering they do. (Though water is precious here, this being an island...). They also use huge quantities of pesticides and fertilizers on their lawn, even though right off that beach is a previously-pristine patch of eelgrass, which is crucial to the lifecycle of the local salmon, and is one of the prime local crabbing spots....

When we were in high school all our homes had lots of trees. So we bagged a bunch up and then went to our teacher's house (whom we liked and had a good sense of humor) that had one tiny stick of a tree in his front yard and surrounded it with all those leaves like it came from that little tree. I had forgotten about it until all this tree talk.

Beautiful photos of a beautiful beach. Those neighbors should not be allowed to pollute the water that way, imho.

I have swept (not blown!) all the leaves off our driveway and patio into the compost pile and/or garden beds

But I swear in the fall, if I get in the hot tub someone WILL fire up a lawnmower or a leaf blower. Damn stupid things. They blow 'em away and the wind blows 'em back! Go figure.

Before I discovered the joys of mulching mowers, I raked and bagged leaves. Now, one pass and they're gone, although it would seem that the neighbors may think poorly of me for mowing. Oh well...
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information