Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: November Frugals!

November Frugals!

I've been looking for the perfect denim jacket for the longest time. Definitely not a need, so I was willing to wait as long as it took. I found it at Savers yesterday with a price tag of $3.99!
    We came in under budget on groceries this week.
    Went to DSIS's last night and instead of going out for food or doing takeout, we brought the ingredients and DH made us a couple of pizzas.
    Last month it looked like we would have a budget shortfall, but I knew we could cover it if we made a bit of an effort. So I posted that number on the fridge and tracked progress and made it into a challenge that DH shared with me, and we were successful. I'm going to do the same this month.

Yppej
    I went to Price Rite and stocked up on marinated artichokes which they had a good price on. Went to a new flea market with DS and got him some boxers at a good price but nothing for myself.

For a vacation this winter I have paid for the airline tickets and saved for the amount of the hotel, rental car, and ground transportation. This month I hope to accrue for the rest of the trip - food, gas, attractions, and souvenirs - so it will be paid for as it were before we go.

Mine actually started the near the end of October - I just got back from working on a house for SBP (kind of like Habitat for Humanity, but primarily for rehabbing damaged homes) in New Orleans. The organization up here in Boston connected with SBP was able to score some free flight tickets, so the only expenses I had (other than going out) was $230 for housing, and one third of a car rental for a week. It was a fun trip, the group of people I was volunteering with were awesome, and I learned a bit about installing insulation and drywall.

Almost 4-year-old grandson stayed overnight Friday night. Saturday morning he wanted to go to the children's museum and he also wanted me to buy a "kids electric car with a steering wheel and a the gas pedal!" He has lots of ideas.

Instead I took some scrap wood and a couple of screws and I built him a little ramp so he could ride his tricycle on it and jump off the end. He was more pleased with that then with either of his ideas. It was free. Except the blister I got on my hand which cost me a little pain.

This is why I love preschoolers – it doesn't take money to make them happy.

Tammy, that sounds like fun! When my kids were little, the free things were the best! Box ships, chair and sheet forts, tin pan bands, costumes from the rag bag - fun! Yesterday I had a pretty big frugal - I returned a wool jacket to LL Bean. I loved it but it just didn't fit quite right - the sleeves were set too low. And it was way too expensive to play around with. So, a nice credit on the card. For my frugal today I'm going to count the stuff I wanted but DIDN'T buy (thus avoiding more carbs and cash layout at the same time, lol.

Yppej
    DS fixed a broken blind I was planning to replace.

RR thanks for posting about Savers. I had not heard about them but will be checking them out this coming weekend.

Value Village (Savers) is one of my happy places. We have scads of them here, and I almost always find something.

Good luck, Yppej. I can really tell that we live in The Land of Too Much Stuff when I go to Savers and Salvation Army (my town has both, huge stores and donation centers). People are dropping off so much stuff that the workers look bewildered, like what are they going to do with it all, and a lot of it is really nice stuff. I think Savers has better prices overall, especially for furniture. My sister has been buying pieces to chalk paint for her new condo and some to paint and resell. She seems to be getting small pieces of furniture for about $15. at Savers, some pretty neat pieces. I was looking at some really nice cashmere sweaters for $10 - $12, but I was strong and did not bring them home!

Yppej
    I used a Kohl's $10 off coupon to buy basics including a top for $4.80 and ignored all the things that will be out of style next year. With the colder weather there are a few things I need due to work. The woman next to me was reprimanded today for her attire, so the dress police are on patrol.

Yppej
    With colder temperatures I am not sweating so I am sniffing garments to avoid unnecessary laundry/electricity/water and myself to avoid unnecessary bathing/natural gas for hot water/water/lotion for dry skin.

Thread Information