Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: November Frugals!

This might be stretching it, but DH & I had yesterday off for doctor appointments (that were cancelled, but they never told us, but that's another story). The sad truth is that we seldom have a vacation day together anymore that isn't related to a doctor's appointment, so we often go out to eat afterwards to give the day an element of fun. Yesterday, we got sushi from the grocery store instead and ate it at home. We made it special by clearing laptops and cats off the table, using damask napkins and nice sushi plates, and enjoyed our meal mindfully without the usual distractions. I think that's one of the things I enjoy about dining out, and we can replicate that at home.

Spent 7.80 for smallest turkey I could find, 68 cents a pound. Will store in freezer and buy more of them at this kind of price; this time of year only.

Not much on the frugals so far this month (ugh...). Let's see...

- Had to buy new winter tires for DW's car. Found a closeout deal on excellent tires at the tire place we prefer and it came with a $100 VISA gift card which I'm sure we'll spend someplace.
    - Got some yellow lily bulbs from one of DW's relatives; we'll swap her some of the calla lily bulbs I dug up last week. They'll make a nice planting in front of the house, rather than the annuals that always end up either dying of dehydration or eaten by the squirrels.
    - Helped at a food distribution this week. After the families had shopped (some more than once), the non-vegetable perishables were set aside and they let us volunteers "shop". Since its next destination was the dumpster, I shopped. Came away with a box of sell-by bread, a year's supply of sauerkraut, some veggie dips, and some Colby cheese that no one took.
    - Happy coincidence that many of the groceries I wanted to buy were on sale this week.

Beyond that, not much frugal news for half a month.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Put new insulation in the basement to save on both oil and electricity to run the furnace blowers.

Stocked up on toilet paper on sale.

Keeping my head down at work amongst the various cliques and personality conflicts to hopefully stay employed. My monthly statistics were good, but some days I feel like I am walking through a minefield.

Worked a half hour of overtime last week.

I've got a good one and I think Iris Lilies will be impressed! I am quite fond of Black Box Cabernet, and I also tend to hold on to my receipts for even consumables for awhile. I usually clean out those receipts every 3 - 6 months, but apparently I've been remiss. Anyhow, I joined their customer loyalty program, and I had enough receipts to get myself two $25.00 MasterCard gift cards. Living more frugally, one glass at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I've got a good one and I think Iris Lilies will be impressed! I am quite fond of Black Box Cabernet, and I also tend to hold on to my receipts for even consumables for awhile. I usually clean out those receipts every 3 - 6 months, but apparently I've been remiss. Anyhow, I joined their customer loyalty program, and I had enough receipts to get myself two $25.00 MasterCard gift cards. Living more frugally, one glass at a time!
    Oh, that is excellent indeed!

I am on a weight reduction plan so am drinking far less wine than in past days. Plus,
    I dont want to buy expensive wine because a bottle will be open for weeks at a time, so maybe I should look into that Black Box deal.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-17-17 at 10:09am.

It's only $15.89 for a 3-liter box at Costco, which works out to less than $4.00 per bottle, and it is decent stuff.

Finally had a good one. Our downtown Kroger had a grand opening yesterday. We went to breakfast so we could see what the opening was like. Got there and we each were given $20 gift certs at the door and a good freezer bag for the car. Score!! Then we went all over the store to taste the freebies and check out any good sale items. Got a 10% off coupon for our whole purchase in the mail earlier and went back today to stock up on well priced items.

So, 10% off = $10 plus $40 in gift cards and two $4 or so freezer bags is a total of around $60 in savings on $100 in purchases.

Very nice score on the groceries, Sweetana!
    Just a couple of little things from me. We eat black olives pretty regularly, but they don't go on sale very often. It seems Thanksgiving is the time, so we picked up a case since they were .99 instead of the usual 1.50. I guess maybe some folks' holiday celebrations involve lots of olives!
    I'm also trying to use the dryer less. There are always some things I air dry, but I'm trying to air dry some whole loads and this weekend only put a load of towels in the dryer.

Yppej
    With the colder weather I haven't gone for a haircut when I normally would have. I like the extra length/warmth.

Thread Information