Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: November Frugals!

We picked up a turkey and some other items Weds, and it said at the refrigerator case that the turkeys were $7 off. When we got home, we saw that we didn't get the discount and we looked at the flier and apparently we needed to get a coupon from the customer service desk to give to the cashier. It would have been nice if cashier had mentioned it, and the store was totally empty at 7 AM, so there was no chaos going on. So DH went back to the store and got the $7. As an aside, that is just another reason to love Market Basket, where there are no loyalty cards or hoops to jump through to get their deals. Every week they have stuff on sale, and it just costs less when you check out, what a beautiful thing. The store we went to Weds was Big Y, and those hoops help reinforce our preference for Market Basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    With the colder weather I haven't gone for a haircut when I normally would have. I like the extra length/warmth.
    It's. small frugal, but I was thinking the other day when my BIL was complaining about his roots showing that I'm so happy I decided to go "gray"--I'm not THAT grey-it's more silver & beige, as my natural color is dark blonde. But it's so comforting to know that a) I can be confident that my roots are never showing, and b) I save the money on the box dye I usually bought, and c) I save time in the bathroom with messy chemicals.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith
    My son and I cut each other’s hair. I figure a savings over the last ten years of at least $1000 but might be more.

We've been making our own laundry detergent for 10 years, and savings are huge over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    We've been making our own laundry detergent for 10 years, and savings are huge over the years.
    A) What's the recipe?
    B) How are the results (do you have to compromise on cleanliness?)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

No compromise whatsoever! Also no allergy problems and some of us are allergic to laundry detergent.

Recipe isfrom Duggars ( I know, yuck):

4 Cups - hot tap water
    1 Fels-Naptha soap bar
    1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
    ½ Cup Borax

- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
    -Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
    -Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
    -Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
    -Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
    -Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
    -Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)
    *Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - this is not baking soda, but washing soda, in yellowbox

We have used Fels Naptha but I prefer to use other soaps I have that are gentler--generally Yardley lavender or Yardley almond oatmeal.

Yppej
    I am skipping the company holiday party. Only about half the staff attend and thankfully there is no pressure to do so, unlike the last place I worked. Besides the cost sayings going out in the dark and subzero temperatures, wearing a dress and hosiery and heels, is not my idea of a good time. And there is a dress code, because it isn't enough that we all have to dress up all week long.

Thread Information