Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How long do you expect to live?

I’ve been retired 10years now and I’m worth much more now, so I’m not to worried about running out at any age. But I do plan on upping my spending.

looking at most of my relatives the problem isnt how long they live, but how long have they had good health. My dad is 82, but really went downhill around 75. So I’m figuring I need to do everything that I want by then, then I’ll probably slow down and not need as much to get by.

Im sure there will be something left for the kids, but I’m not worrying about it. They can have whatever is left.

dmc;My dad is 82, but really went downhill around 75. So I’m figuring I need to do everything that I want by then, then I’ll probably slow down and not need as much to get by.

I started watching my folks and inlaws we only have one left now my dad at 89. I then averaged how many good years I have left as I too watched them go down hill at a certain age. Health is everything.

Holy cow, I'm going to live to be 100.

Doesn't shock me...I do make my health a priority, and I've had numerous relatives live to be 100 or in their 90s before dying.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

KayLR,

Dame Vera Lynn was interviewed on the occasion of her 100th birthday on BBC Radio 2. Asked for her advice about living a long life, she said:
    Be active to your full capabilities. Keep interested, read books, watch television, and try to keep in touch with life and what people are doing, seeing, and enjoying

dado potato, I will say that was the on the spot. Again yesterday I drove across state with my load of food for dad. I forget sometimes I am grateful that I can spend time with him. I feel that is his downfall, not doing all those things listed, actually not doing much of anything. I remind myself every time I leave that my health willing I will do all I can, short of TV!

Biking Lady,

Yes, the specific activities Dame Vera Lynn mentioned all are sedentary. She did not mention biking! ... or taking a daylight walk no matter what the weather. The BBC did not ask for my opinion, but I would have included some daily gentle aerobic exercise for the heart, and a meditative discipline like Tai Chi for the balance.

I am sure that your trips to be with your dad mean a lot! "May the wings of love never lose a feather."

My mom passed away last May just before her 91st birthday. She would still be here today I'm convinced, if she had not been so sedentary. She had no health problems precluding her from going out to walk every day. She sat so much she got a sore on her hip, then it became infected, and because she would not get up and walk and stay off of it she became bedridden and died from sepsis. There was only so much treatment to help her; she had to help too. But she pretty much gave up.

She preferred to sit and do needlework and watch tv. We got her a dog (with her permission) thinking it would motivate her to take him out on walks. Well, the dog just got fat and died.

She had no siblings, but all her aunts lived well into their mid- to late-90s. I get really bitter (and relatedly guilty-feeling) thinking about how lazy she got about her own wellness. It makes me determined not to be that way.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

We went to a meetup group last night and sat by a woman that I thought was in her 70's. It turns out she was 89. AFter her husband died in his 70's she went to the local community college and applied for a job teaching remedial math 24 hours/week and still does it. Wow was she sharp. Turns out they both had PH.D's and were very accomplished. She described how she went with a group of professors to present a paper in Japan and the woman kept asking where her husband was saying she could not be admitted without him. She told the woman that she was presenting and her DH was having tea with the other spouses. The woman did not know what to do because a woman never presents on a math topic. She had to go get her boss. She had lots of great stories and a fascinating life traveling the world for both of their careers. I asked if she had kids and she said no. I am sure that make it easier but didn't want to ask if it was by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I asked if she had kids and she said no. I am sure that make it easier but didn't want to ask if it was by choice.
    Good call. When people ask me if I have kids I say "no, by choice". Everyone I know who isn't by choice is devastated and angry when asked more questions.

According to the actuarial tables 84 years. My dad lived until 87 and Mum 83. I don't think I will make it that far. My condo is paid for and I have a great pension and savings plus 401k/iras. I actually don't think I will need to touch my inheritance stash for a minimum of 5 years. I do have to withdraw inherited 401k funds annually by law. I fully expect that my children will be fine when I pass, at least financially

Thread Information