Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How long do you expect to live?

My grandmothers hit 94. Dad died of lung cancer from smoking. Mom died of bladder cancer/2nd smoke.

At our planned spending rate we won't spend it gone unless we drastically increase our spending. Hubby wants to leave half to our alma mater and nothing to his family, I want to leave some to nieces/nephews and the rest to Humane Society/Public TV/Foodbank.

It said 94 for me. I don't want to live to be 94; I think early eighties is the longest I would want to be around. Maybe I should start smoking again!

does a reverse mortgage factor into anyone's plan, even as a possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Good question. One of my aunts (94) who lives with my cousin has one. Dave Ramsey says they are stupid and costly. But if somebody really wanted to stay in their home and needed extra income, I guess it could be a reasonable option.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

In extremis, yes. In reality, I hope not - the fees/rates seem high, and my daughter would like to have this house when we're done with it.

Yppej
    It would be a last resort. The big unknown for me is what medical costs will be. I think with all its different parts Medicare is unnecessarily complex and I would love to see it simplified before I retire in 18 years.

I took that test dado linked and it said 85. But I plan for into my nineties as my mom is already 91 and still healthy.

I think I figure 30 more years, and after that, the kids will have to help out.
    I would like to leave money to the kids and grandkids, as well as church and scholarship.

I would downsize to a small condo before doing a reverse mortgage. I remember reading that if both people were out of the home due to needing to rehab for longer then 3 months then they could take the home.

I got 102, probably cuz I don't smoke or drink and my dad's side lives to 100. I try to withdraw only 2-3 percent a year and will delay ss till I am 70. Anything left will be split up between dh and my families and save the children.

Williamsmith
    My paternal grandmother died in her fifties, a tea totaler and a religious zealot. My maternal great grandmother smoked a pipe like a chimney, and drank wild turkey whiskey like a fish. She lived an entire century.

I have a detailed financial plan to live until tomorrow morning. If that happens , I am going to get up at 5:30 am and head to the gym. Tomorrow night I’ll probably throw a few tumblers of Makers Mark back and start the process over again.

This way, if I live to one hundred, they can claim it’s because I exercised religiously. If I die early, they can bemoan that I drank myself to death. I got them all covered.

I admit, my mothers pragmatism after two bouts with cancer has rubbed off on me. She says when the man upstairs punches your ticket, well it’s your time. All the fretting and fussin about financial security .....it’s just frettin and fussin.

My kids will inherit two guitars, one too many firearms, a badge, some patches I cut off my last uniform shirts, my favorite penknife, a few pieces of crudely constructed furniture, and some memories of an imperfect father with a sense of humor and an all too predictable short temper.

I’ve been exposed to too many untimely deaths to take life seriously. And truthfully, I don’t want to end up like Mr. Jingles of The Green Mile.

Thread Information