Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just another day in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Correction: Straight white males suck!

Alan:

I know a lot of leftists -- I mean a lot. And the vat majority of them judge straight white men by the color of their skin and not by the content of their character.

It is very acceptable to lump all straight white together in shorthand when criticizing the actions and policies of particular white men.

The leftists that I know who do this are almost all married to or dating white men.
    I'm of two minds on this, on the one hand it's a terrible blight on our society for liberals to be so illiberal, but on the other hand, their bigotry and insistence on identity politics helps keep them out of local and national governance. What's a rational American to do? Encourage them or condemn them? There's a lot to be said for either approach.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm of two minds on this, on the one hand it's a terrible blight on our society for liberals to be so illiberal, but on the other hand, their bigotry and insistence on identity politics helps keep them out of local and national governance. What's a rational American to do? Encourage them or condemn them? There's a lot to be said for either approach.
    White identity politics are just as bad as any other sort of identity politics based on race, ethnicity, gender, etc.

There is a real implosion of liberals in this country. The election in VA tomorrow might be a real eye-opener.

There is a comedian, Tray Crowder, who goes by the title, "liberal redneck". He's from the deep south and from what I've looked up is not a fake actor but the real deal. I've laughed aloud at some of his commentaries. I drive a pickup, hunt and fish, and own guns but have liberal politics, so maybe I identify with him. He has a more serious commentary on gun violence. It might pretty much sum it up for me. (Has some for letter curse words).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73GicaeMo_E

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    There is a comedian, Tray Crowder, who goes by the title, "liberal redneck". He's from the deep south and from what I've looked up is not a fake actor but the real deal. I've laughed aloud at some of his commentaries. I drive a pickup, hunt and fish, and own guns but have liberal politics, so maybe I identify with him. He has a more serious commentary on gun violence. It might pretty much sum it up for me. (Has some for letter curse words).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73GicaeMo_E
    It would be nice when he was done being funny.....if he would make one concrete suggestion about how to prevent the next incident. Probably one of the few rednecks I’ve heard of that has a masters degree in business. He’s givin rednecks a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    It would be nice when he was done being funny.....if he would make one concrete suggestion about how to prevent the next incident. Probably one of the few rednecks I’ve heard of that has a masters degree in business. He’s givin rednecks a bad name.
    Actually he's only giving rednecks a bad name by showing that if they're lazy losers it's because they're lazy losers, not because they're rednecks.

But to answer your question, we could start by enforcing the laws we already have, like not letting people convicted of domestic violence purchase firearms. Somehow the guy in texas slipped through the cracks. Sad. And hopefully there will be repercussions for whoever didn't do their job and put him in the no firearms database.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.188db1d8af98

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It is starting to sound as though this shooting had nothing to do with any of these causes mentioned here and to go back to domestic violence and inter-family anger and violence.
    So maybe we need, as a culture, to do more to promote family therapy.
    I think family therapy would help but anti-social personality disorders (sociopathic/psychopathic) are a combination of factors including genetics and environmental. There is present research that suggests that antisocial personality disorders can be caused by a brain dysfunction, faulty wiring. I worked with a family years ago where the 8-year-old son would catch squirrels and cut their heads off, he beat his younger sister with a tire iron, and many more such behaviors. The other children exhibited no such behavior. Family therapy would most likely help the rest of the family but the budding sociopath, not so much. Hopefully further research will result in more answers and solutions.

YOu are so right goldensmom. I worked with a 4 yo boy that tried start a fire in my backseat of my car. After that he rode in front. I liked the kids to be in the back to be safer. He was severely abused but his Mom had supervised visitation. He asked me to run her over with my car in the parking lot one day. He had 2 older sisters that never hurt him but he broke one of their arms, etc. I would have been afraid to be his foster parent and be asleep in the same house with that kid. So he was the product of abuse but then so damaged that there was no hope at only 4. Ugh!

If there are sociopaths running around with guns, then we need to do something to protect those of us who are not so inclined. I know nothing of guns but if mass murder is defined as 4 or more people killed, is there really a need for general use firearms to have more available shots than that? Would restricting that feature be possible? Another thing that has changed in the last generation or two is the amount of violence featured in all media. Blood, guts are common now and surely must have a desensitizing effect on our minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    YOu are so right goldensmom. I worked with a 4 yo boy that tried start a fire in my backseat of my car. After that he rode in front. I liked the kids to be in the back to be safer. He was severely abused but his Mom had supervised visitation. He asked me to run her over with my car in the parking lot one day. He had 2 older sisters that never hurt him but he broke one of their arms, etc. I would have been afraid to be his foster parent and be asleep in the same house with that kid. So he was the product of abuse but then so damaged that there was no hope at only 4. Ugh!

So many personal work examples. I was transporting the 8-year-old home from residential treatment program and we stopped at McDonalds. He jumped out of the car, jumped over a fence and proceeded to run onto an inner state highway. When I got him back he started threatening and fought with the people who helped round him up. I took him right back to the facility. Apparently his time in treatment was not successful. I sometimes wondered if the facility just wanted him out. I think oftentimes residential treatment turns out to be more of a time out for the parent than successful treatment of the child.

Another quick example of a foster home that would take absolutely any child, any time of day or night, called and wanted the child removed immediately as she was chasing the other kids with a butcher knife. She was subsequently diagnosed Disassociate Personality Disorder. Yup, mental health issues are real and the resulting behaviors can be deadly. Enough shop talk.

Williamsmith
    In my simple imperfect understanding of the mind, I generally believe it’s not so much desensitization that is the problem but dehumanization, when you become just an object to shoot, it becomes easy.

Also, in general, we should be rigorously enforcing the current laws regarding the possession and purchase of firearms to restricted persons. But we should not expect these laws to actually protect us. That is up to us because when the deranged person is denied a sale, he can and will simply steal one from a vehicle or break into a residence and take one.

Which leaves us with just two feasible strategies. Either go door to door and confiscated every single firearm.....or arm yourself and engage the threat to your life.

Thread Information