Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just another day in the USA.

Just another day in the USA.

Thoughts on Sunday's "daily shooting?"

I heard about it on the radio. It made me very sad momentarily. But I have noticed that I am becoming desensitized to this type of thing in the news. It just happens so seemingly often. So I hear about it, feel incredibly sad for a moment, and then I am just back to normal.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Thoughts on Sunday's "daily shooting?"

I heard about it on the radio. It made me very sad momentarily. But I have noticed that I am becoming desensitized to this type of thing in the news. It just happens so seemingly often. So I hear about it, feel incredibly sad for a moment, and then I am just back to normal.
    Well, the city of Chicago has had 569 murders and over 3100 shootings just this year. That ought to help you stay sad for a few more moments before you get back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Well, the city of Chicago has had 569 murders and over 3100 shootings just this year. That ought to help you stay sad for a few more moments before you get back to normal.
    Chicago is a mess. The place is a frickin' war zone.

They were already in a church so they were probably already praying. Not much else to be done here.

So, razz and you others up there in Canada. How are you hiding all your mass shootings? You must be having them. We share a continent and history. You're not that different from us. Only a border and a different leader separate us. So I know you all are out there killing each other like we are and just not telling us. Come on--come clean!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    So, razz and you others up there in Canada. How are you hiding all your mass shootings? You must be having them. We share a continent and history.
    I think the difference is, we don't share a culture. I suspect our Canadian neighbors are not burdened with the culture of victimization which runs rampant with approximately 50% of our population. Add in the complimentary culture of violence which we've come to expect, and excuse, from those "victims" of oppression, racism, misogyny, sexism, etc., and the far ranging, yet predictable results occur.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think the difference is, we don't share a culture. I suspect our Canadian neighbors are not burdened with the culture of victimization which runs rampant with approximately 50% of our population. Add in the complimentary culture of violence which we've come to expect, and excuse, from those "victims" of oppression, racism, misogyny, sexism, etc., and the far ranging, yet predictable results occur.
    Really? On what do you base the fact that 50% of our population feel victimized? And on what basis do you attribute that to the mass shootings?

But, to be honest, I'm going to backtrack a little bit because after I posted that, I did a little math and actually, the numbers of people killed in Canada and the US is more proportional than I expected.

The Washington Post cited 975 people killed in mass shootings in the US since 1966.

I looked at Wikipedia to find the # of people killed in mass murders in Canada in the same time frame, and it wound up being 160. Our population is not quite 10 times Canada's, but close. So it turns out not THAT far off per capita. But, the Canadian numbers include not just gun violence but also murders by arson, explosives, cannibalism and a crossbow.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    They were already in a church so they were probably already praying. Not much else to be done here.

I kind of agree. In no way do I take what happened in Sutherland Springs lightly and do not mean to dismiss such a tragic event. I am a Bible believing Christian. I go to church to worship and pray with fellow believers. I do not wish to die yet especially in such a tragic manner but if it happened to me, what better place to be to enter eternity. Death is not the end regardless of the manner in which it occurs. Again, I do not take this lightly, the victims are brothers and sisters in Christ but this is not their end, the have entered the glory of the God they worshiped.

‘Just another day in the USA', sadly so. We as a nation have become so desensitized to violence that we immediately focus on the peripherals and not the root of the problem which is rampant evil.

Something I always wonder about is that somebody, somewhere knows that these individuals who do these horrendous things are not right in the head. I am concerned about a neighbor kid who is obsessed with weapons and guns. He is always shooting things in his backyard or alley with air guns, BB guns etc and I bet has access to much more dangerous weapons. He sometimes dresses up in combat gear. What does one do if you get a sense that he will be trouble? And then multiply him by thousands - angry men who blame others for their misery. This will only continue. I also wonder who raised these idiots to be without compassion or trust.

Quote Originally Posted by goldensmom View Post
    ‘Just another day in the USA', sadly so. We as a nation have become so desensitized to violence that we immediately focus on the peripherals and not the root of the problem which is rampant evil.
    Yes, we are desensitized. We have had three MAJOR mass killings in just a little over one month. That is not normal. But goldensmom, you are right. UL started the thread, and we are not even expressing mild horror.

Thread Information