Thread: Kindle and lithium batteries

Kindle and lithium batteries

A cautionary tale:
    My Kindle Fire split across the top backing and the screen a few months ago, although it was still working. I thought I had been clumsy when it was in my luggage during my summer travels. Finally decided to go to Best Buy to have their in-house Geek Squad check it out, and found out that it was actually my lithium battery that had swelled up and caused the split. Definitely unsafe.

The tech explained that it can happen if you leave it plugged in all the time - yes, I'm Guilty, I left it plugged in for my convenience to use while I watched TV but apparently lithium batteries don't like that.

Bought a new Fire HD8 for about $85 so it was not an expensive replacement, but I wanted to pass on this story to any others who may be as clueless as I was about this.

Good to know, thanks!

I got a new Kindle after fighting the charging port for a time and was also happily surprised at how inexpensive they've become.

My Mom blew up her WiFi hotspot by leaving it plugged in. She intends to do the same with the new one as she's legally blind and can't fumble with the charging cord. Sigh!

This is the Kindle tablet, correct, not the dedicated eReader?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    This is the Kindle tablet, correct, not the dedicated eReader?
    Correct, the tablet.

I love that they have come down in prices as well, although the reviews on Amazon run the entire range from good to bad. I still have a good working Kindle Fire original and can't justify a new one. Congrats on getting a new one and thanks for the heads up on the battery.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information