Thread: Transferring audio files from my iPhone to my computer?

Transferring audio files from my iPhone to my computer?

I've recorded a bunch of nature sounds on my iPhone. I've sent them to my email. How do I store them somewhere on my computer? It gave me the option of opening them or saving them.......but I don't think that's the same as storing them somewhere.
    Thanks for any help.

I think if you save them on your computer and open them, they'll open in iTunes, and you can store them there. I'm sure more tech-savvy people will give better advice, but I audiorecord interviews on my iPad, and I'll typically either upload them into Dropbox or download them onto iTunes on my computer.

Also, you could open a SoundCloud account and upload them there and share them with us
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If you open the email on your computer and save the sound (likely an attachment) it will save it on your computer, wherever your email program (or Web browser, if that's what you use for email) is set to download files. For me, that's a folder called Download. I can then move anything in Download to wherever I want it (iTunes, another folder, wherever).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Save IS storing them. That is why it is called save.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/save

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    If you open the email on your computer and save the sound (likely an attachment) it will save it on your computer, wherever your email program (or Web browser, if that's what you use for email) is set to download files. For me, that's a folder called Download. I can then move anything in Download to wherever I want it (iTunes, another folder, wherever).
    Thanks Steve! I never knew there was a "Download" section in my picture folders. I found it. I have hundreds of pictures, and I overlooked it. Does that Download section stay there forever, just like the other pictures folders do? I'll move it to another pictures folder. I never knew that. Thanks!

You're welcome!

Cathy, what lands in Download should stay there unless you delete it. Nothing will happen to the Downloads folder itself unless you do something to it (rename, trash/recycle, etc.)

Does that Download section stay there forever, just like the other pictures folders do? I'll move it to another pictures folder.
    Since I'm not sure what the quoted "it" refers to, I'll mention that if you move that entire Download folder elsewhere your email program/Web browser likely will not know where it went and will issue a "can't-find-folder"/"can't-download-file" error the next time you try to save an emailed image. If you move individual files out of the folder, you should be fine (but, then, n.b., that will break the link in the email containing the images if you've been saving those emails).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks Steve. I'm just not smart enough to be living in this digital/computer time! I still have an iPhone 5 and it's starting to poop out. Oh how I dread figuring out a new one. Yes, I would only transfer individual pics from the Download folder. haha......I always wondered where the heck things go when I would click on "save", and nothing would happen. I just figured it was fooling me.

P.S. Steve........if I've moved the audio files to my "pictures" folder, I can then delete the email where they were sent to from my iPhone, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    P.S. Steve........if I've moved the audio files to my "pictures" folder, I can then delete the email where they were sent to from my iPhone, right?
    Yes. If you've moved the files to wherever you want to keep them, you've detached them from the email and the email can be deleted safely.

For what it's worth, there are apps built in that make it fairly easy to migrate to a new iPhone. Stick with the built-in apps and it stays fairly simple.

Thanks Steve!

Thread Information