Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disappointed in quilting group

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    wow, I had no idea Meetup charged a monthly fee to the organizer. Hmm...I've talked to a few people in Meetup groups and that was never mentioned.
    There is - but not what was quoted here - maybe that was something different than Meetup? Or the organizer was charging their own rates (this happens)?

https://www.meetup.com/pricing/

Pricing
    All prices in USD

Basic
    Starts at $9.99/month
    50 members
    4 organizers

Unlimited
    Starts at $14.99/month
    Unlimited members
    Unlimited organizers

hmm but I can't imagine the basic membership being of much use (although maybe for a quilting group) as with many things most people will join a group just to see if it has events and almost never attend, so the $15 a month is what you would really need to pay for many functioning groups that weren't very limited, even if you limit the attendance at each event which often does make sense, what doesn't make sense is limiting people who can follow your group on meetup pretty much.
    Trees don't grow on money

So rude! I hope you can find a different group.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Wow. I would've been shocked and then mad, just like you. I would've had to restrain myself from answering with more than one obscenity and I don't use a lot of those words. I agree with razz, et al - reach out to the other two "outsiders" and form your own group.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Why cant you use Facebook for these group organizatinal activities? It has an event/calendar function.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Why cant you use Facebook for these group organizatinal activities? It has an event/calendar function.
    There are also also closed groups - people request to join and then an admin adds them, so the group is accessible to the members and not anyone else. Lots of groups use Facebook this way.

I belong to several groups that use FB for planning and such. Works well. Of course, there are people who don't like FB, but it's become a necessary evil in many cases. You don't have to give all your personal information. You can keep a bare profile and only use it for groups if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I belong to several groups that use FB for planning and such. Works well. Of course, there are people who don't like FB, but it's become a necessary evil in many cases. You don't have to give all your personal information. You can keep a bare profile and only use it for groups if needed.
    That is the reason I have a FB page, the organizations I have to follow. Not all are public pages. I still use a modified version of my name so that I cant be identified in a search. And the Facebook’s ability to close off access to “Friends” lists makes it better for my anonymity as well.

When I write comments to the pages of these organizations I used to sign my rwal name at rhe end, but at rhis point the people who need to know who I am now know.

Update on the quilting group: I went over to the "local" (32 miles away) quilt store this morning. Talked with the owner, told her I'm new in the area, looking for a group to join... she said she does Not share information about groups anymore, that a few years back she did and a group almost ruined her business because she didn't refer them - but she wasn't even aware of that group then. Classes will start there again in March. I put myself on the mailing list.

On the way back, I stopped at the grocery store- and ran into the woman who hosted the group and started that ball rolling (and was also excluded). I said I was delighted to see her, maybe we could have our own small group... she politely interrupted and said she's decided to pursue her interest in pottery and set the quilting aside. And she had seen the 3rd excluded person yesterday- she has decided to join her DH in his vintage car club excursions and leave the quilting ideas for now.

So, I am back to square one. I looked on MeetUp and did not find any quilt groups. I am an experienced quilter, and I belong to several FB quilting groups. I can get ideas from there and Pinterest and YouTube. I was really looking for IRL people with a shared interest. Oh well.

Edited to add: I also found out there are several groups with various activities- writing, Bunco, bridge, puzzles, photography- that meet at the library, but they are all closed groups.

I can't stop shaking my head...................

Thread Information